1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

trimmer question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bama26, Jul 29, 2005.

1. bama26

bama26 LawnSite Member

what kind of grease do you put in gear box and how do you change it in your hand helds
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Call the dealer, they would know. They probably aslo sell the product. When you find out, let me know. THANKS
  3. C&KLawnCare

C&KLawnCare LawnSite Member

2-3 times a season i unscrew the plug and hold the end of my grease gun up tight and give it a pump.

i pick up grease at walmart super tech Gen purpose litium grease, I cant see paying extra money for big brand or big manufacture brands when 99% of the time its the same stuff .

KERRTURF LawnSite Member

On your FS85, it is on the right side of the trimmer gearbox (if you are looking down on it as if you were using it). There is a cap screw that covers the hole where the grease goes. Sthil grease comes in a tube, and the tubes threads match the threads on the cap screw. Screw the tube into the hole, and squeeze. Simple as that. I use the Sthil grease, but like others have said, it is probably the same grease as any other you can buy. It is also fairly expensive. Just over $5 for a small tube.
  5. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I have been using religiously 80-90 weight gear oil synthetic blend, same one I use on my rear diff of my Ford truck, on all my Stihl equipment. You just unscrew the bolt and squeeze drop by drop into gear case till it full same way you do with rear diff every year before season start. It works great and spends no extra money.
  6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks kerrturf. I didn't know that the grease for my trimmer came in tubes like that. Good to know and I love the trimmer.

KERRTURF LawnSite Member

So do I, but unfortunately we will never buy another new one. I'm still not sold on the 4mix products yet. I am starting to look more into Tanaka since buying a Tanaka hedge trimmer.
  8. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Come on, you know you're going to buy a Tanaka TBC-2500!

Have a good weekend - I'm outta here.