1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trimmer question

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by sheerhunk, Apr 20, 2006.

1. sheerhunk

sheerhunk LawnSite Member

I just bought a Stihl FS130 this past Monday and I played with it a little bit . It seemed harder to start than my old cheap robi I had and then the the dern string broke .then it acted like it was flooded took me a little bit to get it going. Did I make a mistake .I think its a 4 cycle engine. Did I make a mistake these things are not cheap. If I need to take it back to get something else rcommend me something . I do like the fact it has a 36 cc engine on it.
  2. Dweezil

Dweezil LawnSite Member

It's not a 4-cycle, it's a 2-cycle with a 50:1 gas/oil mix. Did you mix the oil that came with it with gas (probebly a 1 gallon mix came with it)?
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

NOPE... Both the FS 130 professional brushcutter and the FS 130 R professional trimmer are powered by a 36.3cc displacement STIHL 4-MIX® engine. (quoted from their website)

However, they do still use gas/oil mix just like 2 strokes do. Not sure of the ratio though myself. Read the manual!
  4. ltd

ltd LawnSite Member

I had an 2 cycle engine, I primed gas about 15 times, locked the throtte trigger, closed the choke, pull few times until I hear engine start to run, open the choke, pull 1 or 2 more times then engine will start.