Trimmer Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ozd12005, May 16, 2008.

1. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the market for a new string trimmer and have always used ones with a bump feed. All the trimmers I'm looking at have the fixed feed, Do you guys like the fixed or bump better? what are the pros and cons of a fixed feed trimmer?

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You must be shopping at Homedepot.......none at dealers have those dumb heads that don't work...get the bump.

3. thezaz

thezaz LawnSite Member

echo are great and good on fuel. Bump feed are for home use 210 is what i have it's 21cc would like a 32cc but 21 is about normal

4. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

unfortunatley I have a small budget of 250.00 for a new trimmer and the 2 local dealers sell Stihl,Shindaiwa and Dolmar. After pricing each one they are all above what I can afford at this time and really dont want another home owner grade trimmer but after taking a 1200 hit on a new toro a few weeks ago and my trimmer running like crap I have no choice but to get what I can for around 250.00

5. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Look for a kawasaki trimmer dealer near you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. thezaz

thezaz LawnSite Member

I got my echo from a ace hardware for 200.00

7. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Look for sale special, call around. I always see Husqvarna 326L on sale for $269 here. Go $289, you can have a lot of choices. Look at Kawasaki, Redmax. Go mail order!!! Read the other posts here, we were just talking about some bad dealer experience. Alamia mail order price is usually not too bad. Check around.
    :waving:

8. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

Echo srm-210, good entry level trimmer $200.

9. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

If you get along ok with your Shindaiwa dealer, the HomePro 22T or T222 (if available) should be available with an MSRP of around $219.95, and while not a full commercial unit, ARE COVERED by a 6 month warranty for commercial use, which should give you plenty of time to save up enough money for a full commercial unit. But truth be told, keep the trimmer guard on and make sure you're always running clean, quality, properly mixed fuel, and the 22T may last you a good year or two depending on your use. If your credit is decent, you might also be able to get a YardCard and use a 90 days SAC plan to buy one and have the extra time to pay it all off.

10. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Well said but as far as the homepro you are better off buying one at homedepot or lowes cause they will have a longer warranty then the 6 month one. Hands down if you are looking for a commercial trimmer either save a few more bucks and buy you one new or look on ebay as there are always good deals on there as there are now do a search for kawasaki kbl23a there is a brand new one for 100.00 brand new in the box and its a commercial unit. shipping and all you are looking at 135.00 and still saving money..... EBAY BABY:drinkup: