Trimmer question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bouncer, May 18, 2003.

1. Bouncer

Bouncer LawnSite Member

I am in search of a new trimmer but on a tight budget. I know about the top brands such as Echo, Stihl, Redmax etc. but what about these two i looked at yesterday............. one was a Cub Cadet, 31cc 18 inch dual line for $ 157, it says it's a commercial trimmer on the box, it seems sturdy and very light. Does anyone use or have any of these?? The other was a Snapper 31cc, dual line trimmer, it was $120 and seemed durable, it had a quick start system and fired up nicely, it's a little on the heavy side, i cant find any info on Snapper trimmers. Can anyone give me info on these two trimmers besides referring me to buy an Echo, Redmax, Stihl,etc. etc. etc...... Thanks!!!!!!:angel:

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

You are going to find that you get what you pay for, just like in this business. Might as well spend a little more now, than spending time and money on another cheap trimmer later. My .02. I run Stihl by the way.

3. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

I bought 3 cub cadets last year, 25cc for $200 at Lowes. Only have 1 left running. I started buying Echo's, srm2100, lighter and just keeps on running. I also payed $200 for the Echo. All my future 2 cycle stuff will be Echo. Dealer is close, nice to deal with and almost every LCO around here uses them.

4. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

buy a shindiawa, you wont be sorry you spent the extra money

5. LLMSERVICE

LLMSERVICE LawnSite Member

Try tanaka TB-250 if there is a dealer near you. They are about $400 Canadian - ($275 U.S.$)

I love mine-lightweight and reliable.

6. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Another thing to note, most of those off-brands are having some other manufacture make them and simply slap the brand on it. Cub Cadet doesn't MAKE trimmers any more than they make riding lawn mowers! They simply have the mfg label em called "black -label" products in the marketing industy.

So when you see one try to match it to one of the main mfg. For example look at a Craftsman and a Weedeater. Poulan (Weedeater) makes the Craftsman (last I checked) and many others. John Deere has theirs made by someone too. And so on...

Once you I.D the real mfgr then you can compare apples to apple if you want to waster your time doing so with the cheaply made trimmers.

So compare them to others and you will be able to determine the REAL mfgr.

NYRookie's example is s good illustration why trimmers are not a place to go cheap.

I'll bet a beer that one of those if not both are made by Poulan. So you might as well buy the green one that say "WeedEater." At least eveyone will know how much you spend on your equipment, cause they had one too.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I'm not 100% on this one but I do believe the cub may be the same thing as the 31cc Ryobi I had. Both are MTD owned.

I used my Ryobi, which was a split boom, commercially for 2 years. I used it to trim, edge, blow and some minor tilling stuff. But finally it croaked on me. When I told my story of it's use, it struck everyone I talked to as a miracle that it held up so long.

So in short, you may be lucky with one like I was. But don't count on it!

If it were me and my budget was that tight, I'd drop by Home Depot and charge an Echo. If I didn't want to charge one, cash for my trimmer would have to take priority over something for now.

Take it from a tightwad....buy quality to start with. It will cost you much less in the long run and you'll have far less regrets.

You can see what I use for a trimmer in my signature. But I'm very pleased with my Echo stuff as well and you should be able to get a quality Echo trimmer for less than the Stihl. I paid around $330 for the Stihl and I wouldn't buy less than the FS 85.

Go on now and grab yourself an Echo, you'll be glad you did and the price won't drain you.

8. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone knows that I am an ECHO man all the way BUT........... Who is gonna work on the Snapper or Cub Cadet if it breaks. Take it back to Wal Mart and they will send you to some repair shop somewhere where you will be waiting for weeks or months to get it fixed. Buy a good brand from a reputable dealer and you have it made if and when it ever needs service.:blob3:

9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

The place I'm working at sells Echo and Robin. When it comes to trimmers if all other things are equal, weight will sway me. The Robin 253 is 9 1/2 pounds with a 25cc engine. It's already setup for a blade too. Also, we're 7 weeks behind on service if it wasn't bought there. Items bought at our shop are brought to the shop immediately and most of the time are worked right on the trailer. It does make a difference buying from a local dealer. Be sure to ask if they do it this way, not all will.

10. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

Do yourself a favor and buy the Echo SRM-210!!

$199.99 and it will last a long time with few problems and parts are very accessible...

Good luck!!