Trimmer rack dimensions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by harley29710, Jul 28, 2004.

1. harley29710

harley29710 LawnSite Member

I want to build my trimmer racks and was wondering how much space is standard between each of the racks. I'm guessing about 12". Can someone measure for me and let me know.
    THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I built mine with 3 feet between racks. Seems to work good for any brand of straight shaft trimmer or edger.

3. harley29710

I guess I should have clarified. I meant between equipment. From top to bottom.

4. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

Harley,

Post what you are putting on the rack. Straight shaft, curved shaft, stick edger, etc. I'm not where I can measure mine, but I bought a Trimmer Trap TT2-Pro 4 that holds 4 trimmers. I happen to prefer the curved shaft trimmers and my FS-75's bump into each other at the shield end. I still like it though. As a thought , be sure and check for clearance from the trailer rail. I think the bottom bracket is at about 18" from the floof of the trailer with 12" between each bracket.

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

MY best advice is if you are building it yourself is to lay the metal out on a workbench and place your trimmers on the metal and see what works best. Different trimmers(curved, straight , stick edgers) and customise it to what equipment you have. I have 1 suggestion, when I first built mine it was to narrow( the distance between the 2 main post) you need the 2 uprights of the rack as far a part as you can get them so that the weight of the engines and the trimmer heads are supported good and not hanging over too far and bouncing alot causing extra wear

6. harley29710

I'll be using them for two straight shaft trimmers and a stick edger. The advice so far has been alot of help. THANKS!

7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

mine have an 8" gap between them, but I think 10 might be better cause the motors hit if I don't line them up just right.

The other thing is to make your uprights out of wide diameter steel. Those 1 " uprights just bounce your equipment all around. My uprights are 2" and they are like a rock.