Trimmer Rack Placement

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GFX, Jul 29, 2005.

1. GFX

GFX LawnSite Member

It seems most everbody mounts there trimmer racks on the side of the trailer. I have thought about mounting the ones I make on the front.

Where is yours mounted and why?

Just trying to come up with reasons on why not to mount it on the front. Can't think of any yet.

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Mount to the drivers side so when you are driving down the road, you can easily check them periodically out your mirror. There have been some stories on here of them falling off. So put em' where you can see em' easily from the truck while driving. GOOD LUCK!

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Usually you mount them on the passenger side so when you are parked you can get to them out of the way of traffic. Most trailers in our area have a 2x2 ft. cage on the front part of the trailer that has a gate that swings down in the area over the hitch.

4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

passenger side to stay out of traffic, my BP blower is on the drivers side so that I can hang it up on the way back to the vehicle to drive to the next lawn....

5. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

I mounted mine on the passenger side only because my driver is a mower guy and one of the passengers is a wacker. Ed2hess makes sense to stay away from traffic, never thought of it that way,good thought.

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

ed2hess is right. I guess I would have thought of that if I was the one that drove to my clients. But I only have one trimmer that I use so I put it on the floor of the trailer next to my eXmark. Thankd ed2hess, i'll remember that when I get my trimmer rack next year with my new trailer.

7. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I had mine mounted on the side.

I switched and mounted them to the front.

Best decision I ever made.

8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Mine are on the inside of the trailer. I got an enclosed. But anyways. The best way to mount them. Is to mount them on the passenger side. But flipped around. So the trimmers mount facing towards in the inside of the trailer. Its isn't any harder to get them off when standing on the outside of the trailer standing on the ground. Plus if your dumb employees forget to put the pins back in. The trimmer just falls into the trailer on top of the mowers. Not the pavement at 50 miles per hour.

9. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Good Idea. :)

10. GFX

GFX LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses. I should have mentioned that I use a dump trailer so I am trying to keep the sides free so I can still load it easily with my skidloader.

I think I'm going to try it on the front. The sides are 24" tall so I should be still able to keep an eye on them while driving.