Trimmer rack questions

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Phil's Lawn Care, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Phil's Lawn Care

Phil's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I am in the process of welding/designing a trimmer rack. It will hold two trimmers and is 42 inches tall. I am looking for advice from people who have trimmer racks.

1) How do you lock the trimmers.
    2)How far apart do you place the 2 uprights
    3) are they welded or bolted to the trailer or both
    4) do they bounce around a lot when driving and if not how did the company you bought them from solve that problem

Thank you in advance, and will post pictures of the finished product

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have a green touch 3 place trimmer rack on my trailer. They are bolted to the trailer, not welded. I can measure how far the uprights are. I had the trailer shop install them when I bought the trimmer. They do bounce a little bit but nothing to bad. I just check the bolts torque every now and then to make sure they are still tight.

3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Here are some pics of mine- very easy to make, they work perfectly. A little banged up, but they are a few yrs. old. It is a simple concept. The front end is spring loaded. The back is designed so that the shaft can't come out so long as the front is in. Once the front has been released, you just lower it a little and the back slides right out. It literally takes about 1/2 a second to get them in or out, and I've never had 1 come out on me.
    PM me if you want more details.
    rack.jpg
    Rack

front closed.jpg
    Rack front closed

front open.jpg
    Rack front open

back1.jpg
    Rack back

back 2.jpg

rack.jpg

front closed.jpg

front open.jpg

back1.jpg

back 2.jpg

4. Phil's Lawn Care

do you think 42" tall is too tall for only two trimmers. I planed this out that the fist one would sit 12" from base and the second trimmer would be 24" above that

5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Yes. I think that is a little high, but if your trailer has low sides then it doesn't matter. Lay it out on the floor and see how much space you really need.

6. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is one we made it pad locks and there is rubber in one end to keep it from moving around.

weed eater rack 2.JPG

7. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

Lawntamer- that looks like a great design. I think I might give that a shot this yet this winter.

8. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

I'am very happy with my Jungle Jims rack. One good tip, Make sure you double or triple bolt your mountings where it is almost impossable to get to the nut without taking something else off. A couple of days ago I was looking at my trailer and noticed that a nut and bolt were laying on the floor. Stupid Me I left my Stihl trimmer out there for almost a month locked up. Those buggers took the mounting bolt off and were gonna steal the whole rake but they could not get to the nut because it is moreless inside the square tubing. Kinda hard to picture but they gave up farting around trying to get the trimmer. I was soo happy, already had a blower stolen and a trimmer attempted to be stolen before a cought them the first time. Just a thing to think about?:confused:

9. brosko

brosko LawnSite Member

the buyers racks are the best. they have a spring loaded clamps that clamp the trimmer down so it doesnt bounce around at all. and to take the trimmer off you just push down with your thumb and remove. takes a split second and you can do it with one hand. well worth the money. it almost just doesnt pay to make your own rack. the buyers racks are only like $150

10. Phil's Lawn Care

I am making these for less than $10. I have an agriculture mechanics class. (Junior in high school) They provide the metal, welder, bolts, etc. I just need to get springs and paint. So I would say yes it is worth it to make my own.