Trimmer Racks or Cage?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by intimidator782, Jan 10, 2010.

1. intimidator782

intimidator782 LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone has a preference to a trimmer rack on the side of a flatbed trailer opposed to a big cage at the front. The cage could be used for a backpack blower, gas cans as well as trimmers. But the trimmer rack seems like it would take up less space. Anyone who has used both, your feedback is greatly appreciated. I am looking into a 6.5'x12' Flatbed trailer. I would be fabricating either one myself.

2. rreyn1812

rreyn1812 LawnSite Senior Member

I am using both. I want the trimmers available quickly from the side of the trailer, but I have a lot of other stuff (blowers, gas, discharge chutes, trimmer misc, etc) that I will put in the cage. I've just bought the Extreme Racks and will install them tomorrow (1st day it's been warm enough).

3. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

well i have racks right now but as soon as the season picks up again ill prolly make a cage im paranoid about theft

4. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

I have both as well...I use the cage for gas cans, tool box and stuff like that, I use a blower rack too because I don't want it taking up the space in my cage.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I like the racks. They are fast, easy and you don't have to climb over a bunch of equipment to get something. They're also a little lighter than the cages.

6. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i also have trimmer racks and a homemade box at the front of the trailer

7. J & D Greens

J & D Greens LawnSite Senior Member

I couldn't be happier with the way my trailer turned out. I have both a front cage with a home made back pack blower rack on the side of it and two compartments one for gas cans and trimmer line, the other for sprinkler repair supplies. and trimmer racks on the other passenger side. everything is lock but easily accessible. I know it is a small trailer but for now it is just perfect.
    I do have a thread with pictures of it as I fabricated the cage and blower rack.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, you should save that thread into Internet Explorer favorites or put it into your signature line. It's a pain in the rear end to make people search through 11 pages of threads to find it. You've sent other people looking for it in other threads too.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=271322

Why didn't you just cantilever your cage over the front of your trailer instead of mounting it over the bed of your trailer? Can we see pics of the cage completed? I'm a little confused as to how it works? I see the enclosed part on the bottom. What's the large open part on the top for. How about some pics of your blower rack with and without the blower mounted to it.

BTW, the wheel barrow fenders are cool and legal as long as they're securely mounted to the trailer.

[​IMG]

9. joel29m

joel29m LawnSite Senior Member

i rather have both racks and a cage, right now i only have a trimmer rack but im getting a cage installed soon, you never know when you will need it even if you dont think you do.

10. J & D Greens

J & D Greens LawnSite Senior Member

Some one else was on the same topic in their thread so I posted the link and encouraged him to look at it. He said "Thanks for high-jacking my thread" so I don't do that unless they ask. Sorry you had to search but I certainly would have responded with it when asked to.