Trimmer recommendations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by forgop, Mar 11, 2003.

1. forgop

forgop LawnSite Member

Should I go with a straight or curved shaft? Any recommendations for a good quality trimmer without paying an arm and a leg? ($150 is certainly within my budget, $200 tops.)

Thanks!

2. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Ok well I've got good news for you!

I work at home depot and we do carry some crapy stuff!
    We do carry low end echo stuff but its the same quality of the high end models.
    Today we had training on all the stuff we're gonan sell for the spring.
    Depot is getting rid of the JD line of trimmers and we are getting toro trimmers. The vendor guy said that they have komatsu engines on them supposedly some as some redmax trimmers and I was freaking out that for 200 bux you can get a split shaft with that quality of engine on it.
    Very good deal sould go check it out! although i'm still gonan say you get what you pay for!

3. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

i would try and find about 80.00 buck more and get a shindiawa t-230. gtrat light weight trimmer and you will not be sorry

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If your cutting grass a trimmer is a NECESSICITY. Don't cut corners. Get a good comm'l grade straight shaft trimmer. Your not going to get one for $200. Spend the money now, not over and over again.

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Your not going to find a good quailty new timmmer for $150 or $200. That would be like me saying, I want a new Ferrari for $10,000. It just isn't going to happen. If you would accept a used one , check eBay. Probably $240 and up, will put you in a commercial selection of timmers.

6. LANDGUARD

LANDGUARD LawnSite Member

When lawn maintenance is your profession, you purchase top dollar equipment even if it mean waiting a few more weeks. The home units are not an asset to your company but a reacurring expense. Save up 500 bucks and go to a proper equipment dealer with a service department.

Good Luck

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Well said. I was using our 6 year old Shindaiwa T230 today. That's all I have to say :)

8. forgop

forgop LawnSite Member

I would agree with you IF I were a "professional", which I'm not. I'm looking to just take on 10-15 yards for part-time work over the summer and just need something for that purpose, not for 40 hours a week of use.

Is that a fair assessment?

9. lawnmutt

lawnmutt LawnSite Member

husqvarna (Husky) straight shaft one of the lightest on the market. Very high rpm also. about $260 range can get them at Lowes this year. We have hade ours for about 3 years now not a bit of trouble. how ever not very good in tall grass 18inch or more. But for weekly trimming its the one I go for.

10. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

Straight shaft is the only way to go. Most of them have a shaft, not a cable like a curved shaft. Bought an echo last year for $200, I have no complaints. I took on almost thirty yards last year. Alot of the bigger guys around here use echo exclusively. The straight shafts also have a gear box where the spool connects, not just a cable connection. Never seen a Shindaiwa or Redman dealer where I am so I can't comment on them.