Trimmer Shaft or it just needs a little idling

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnkid, Nov 5, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Currently I own a Homelite ST-275 trimmer that has received a good amount of hours each week for the last 6 years I'd say, even before I used it for commercial use too. Anyway, my question is, when I start my trimmer daily, it doesn't go to full throttle right away. Is it just that it needs to warm up or is the shaft going bad? If you hit the gas right away, it usually looses power and shuts off. It always used to get going right away the last couple years but this year it has been acting up. I plan on buyng some new trimmers in the spring but I would like to keep this trimmer as a backup just in case. What do you think could be up?
  2. Flyrod

Flyrod LawnSite Member

I have a 16 year old Homelite st-375. It has always been cold blooded, it takes a while to warm up, more so in cold weather. On the other hand my Solo 127 comes up to speed immediately.
  3. 1st and best guess---
    low speed/ idle fuel mixture-see your manual for adjustment.(if adjustable carburetor)

Worn engine-compression better once warmed up

If it runs OK once warmed up I wouldn't worry about it too much but here are a couple of other things you can do to help poor acceleration.

new plug
    clean air filter
    replace fuel filter-probably in fuel tank
    fuel vent-replace fuel cap
    de-carbon exhaust port and spark arrestor (in muffler)
    you should be able to do the above in an hour and $10-15 parts