Trimmer Shields

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheChiefsLawnCare, Oct 13, 2007.

1. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Why do some people remove the shield off the gas trimmers and some dont.

2. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

Removing the shield allows you to let more string out. This makes it easier to "mow" large areas. Its probably not safe but it is convenient, like removing the discharge chute on a mower deck.

Scott

3. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

very well said

4. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

I tried taking mine off but i felt it robbed alot of power with more string out,and besides we very seldom are cutting down large areas with them so we put the muff gaurds back on and listen to the power. just my opinion,willie

5. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

ordered two new trimmers at the beginning of the year and i forgot to put it on before i put the head on and just left it like that but i put the other on. the guys liked the one without the sheild so much they took it off...i dont use them i couldnt say why

6. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

Well, its also more weight at the end of the trimmer that needs to be held up off the ground.

Scott

7. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

With them off you can trim all the way around a rock or stump without walking around it. Just make a circle around the obstacle. If it is on you end up bumping into the rock and then have to reposition to get the grass on the back side. I prefer them off but with some brands you can slide it up the shaft so the string can be let out longer and it spins just under the shield.

8. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I was always against it for the lognest time until recently one of them broke and had no choice but to remove it. Needless to say, within the week I pulled all of the other shields off of all of my other trimmers. Made trimming a whole lot faster, and saves string but not hitting the blade on the shield.

9. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I run my trimmers with them off. Much easier.