Trimmer shooting out to much line?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Its a Husqvarna trimmer with a echomatic head on it about 2 years old the trimmer its self is 3-4 years old. It seems to shoot to much line. What causes this and is there a fix for it?

2. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

Sounds to me like the tension spring inside is worn. Time for a new head. That is if you are using the correct line

3. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

Either the spring inside is gone or like A1 siad its worn out and needs to be replaces

4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your local Lowes should have new replacement Husqvarna heads for about $21 each.

5. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like the head to me as well, your also the wrong size line..

6. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I find that the springs tend to get compressed on my trimmer heads and start feeding with the slightest tap. I just stretch the spring out a little when reloading.

7. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

this just happened to me yesterday actually i thought first i loadedc it wrong because to much string was shooting out,nope needed a new head

8. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Ill try stretching the spring a bit next time. Thanx for your help guys. If you are not used to this echomatic head its a smaller head design...not nearly as large as the head that came on it. I bought it for its easy loading design and for the fact that I have had bad luck with the style of head that came on it which is the same as whats on echos. I have had the little white tabs wear off to the point where while im trimming the line insert shoots out.

9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Yep it is the spring. I just had to replace a head myself the other day due to this problem.

Gravely_Man