Trimmer Speed

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bwiesner, Jul 10, 2002.

1. bwiesner

bwiesner LawnSite Member

I see there are several lawn care specialest here and I was wondering what speeds you ran your trimmers at. I work on them for a living and have been running into a bunch of them with stopped up exhaust ports and muffler screens. I also tore down two that the carbon build up was so bad it stuck the rings and allowed the combustion to blow by the rings and stopped up the intake exchange ports in the cylinders. What was the cause? I believe it is from running them at too slow a speed, using low octane fuel, mixing too heavy a ratio and letting the fuel set in the sun on the back of the truck. The worst enemy of fuel is light and heat, it will cause the fuel to go stale and loose octane. Solution, run it full tilt, mix the best oil you can get in the highest octane fuel you can buy. Mix no more fuel than you will use in a day and if you let it set in the sun for over 2 days pour it in your mower and mix fresh fuel. Don't use plastic gas jugs and let them slide around on the back of your truck with a bed linner in it. It can cause a static electrical charge and can blow up. The thing about the gas jug is fact, the rest is JMHO. From all the trimmers I work on and see on a daily basis. Also over the years of running them and using them full tilt and never having the exhaust stop up on mine. I ran the same trimmer for 15 years and never had the muffler stop up once and never had to clean the exhaust port. By all means always be safe. Later Butch
  2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

a lot of people run 2 strokes at 32 to one. 50 to one is better. 80 to one Amsoil is best. Here lies the problem.