1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trimmer Stalls

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by RiddleRanch, May 4, 2006.

1. RiddleRanch

RiddleRanch LawnSite Member

Before I toss my cheap (Ryobi SS 30) but somewhat new (less than 2 year old) trimmer in the trash (I bought a Stihl FS 110R recently), I figure I should check to see if there is an easy fix for it. It ran fine last fall, but now it does a strange thing after I get it started and warmed up. When I hold the trottle wide open, it struggles to wind up to full RPM and then it slows down and dies out. I can start it up again immediately, but as soon as I open the trottle up again, it dies out. It doesn't miss or skip when it is idling, trying to wind up or is dying out, so the problem seems to be fuel system related, not ignitiion related. I removed the small fuel filter that sits in the tank, just in case it was choking the fuel flow to the carbureator, but it still does exactly the same thing. I have also remixed and replaced the fuel a couple of times, just to make sure that the thing is isn't trying to run on a bad batch. Short of replacing the carbureator with a new one, which may not be worth the time and trouble for a low end machine like this, is there some other test or modification I should try to either remedy, or help identify the cause of, the problem?
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Just trash it and enjoy your FS110R. I used to have a ryobi POS and even if you do fix its worthless anyway.
  3. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic LawnSite Member

try removing the muffler and cleaning the carbon out of the spark arestor screen too much mix oil clogs them if thats your problem it shoud run great
  4. totallawncare912

totallawncare912 LawnSite Member

Carb issue most definitely the carb would cost more to replace then the trimmer is worth
    I agree JUNK IT AND ENJOY THE BETTER STIHL but not much LOL..
  5. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're like me, I HATE to throw away something that MIGHT possibly work again. If you have time, take the carb apart and clean out any trash. I bet you have some gum in there.

I've also heard that some stuff, called SeaFoam, can clean out gum without disassembly. I think you would mix it with the gas.
  6. RiddleRanch

RiddleRanch LawnSite Member

Thanks to all. If I get a chance to fiddle with it, and manage to solve the problem, I'll report back.