1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trimmer stops working when hot???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by K.Carothers, Jun 21, 2006.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a trimmer that works good for the first 5-10min then it stops running.
    I changed the fuel and air filters, and the spark plug.

Any idea what it could be?

2. I'm kinda like that trimmer after 5-10 minutes when its really really hot I just quit, like I'm out of fuel.
  3. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Check the spark arrestor screen. If it is clogged take it out and leave it out.

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

My Echo has 2 air vents on both sides that sometimes clog up. Might be your problem. Can cause it to overheat.
  5. Stretch

Stretch LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Check the fuel lines for pinholes. I pulled my hair out over a stalling trimmer to find the cheap black fuel line had decomposed. If I have a problem with any echo the first thing I do is replace the black lines with the good clear yellow fuel line
  6. Stretch

Stretch LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

you can clean the exhaust screen or leave it out like nosmo mentioned. I will be a little louder, but you'll usually get a little more power:weightlifter:
  7. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

How old is it and is it 2 or 4 cycle and how much use does it get???

It 'could' be any # of things such as bad seals, bad coil pack, dirty carb etc...
  8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Fuel cap vent is probably plugged. Next time it does this unscrew the cap some and then try to restart. What kind of trimmer?
  9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Next time it happens check for spark. My fs100rx was doing about the same thing, turned out to be ignition coil.
  10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

bad coils very common to sthil. another reason to avoid them