Trimmer String, Feeding problems

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by howardsells2000, Apr 11, 2006.

1. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a new Echo PAS 260 Power Source with the Echo Pro Trim Trimmer attachment and several other attachments to go with it. My local dealer recommended this trimmer. It was working great until the orange trimmer line that came with it ran out. I bought some Titanium replacement trimmer line. I don't know if it's the Titanium Line, the trimmer it self or if it is me. But I rap it around the head like the directions say and the way the dealer showed me to do it. Sometimes it will work but it seems to run for a short time then the string breaks off inside the head. The trimmer has a dual feed. Two strings. Sometimes just one breaks off in the head but usually its both. Then I have to stop trimming and rewrap the string. It's really a time killer. Is it me or is this a common problem or could it just be the titanium string?

2. Firefighter1428

Firefighter1428 LawnSite Member

Its not only you. I have had the same problem with my trimmer to, Matter of fact 7 times today while on one job I had to stop and restring. The hole in which the string goes in just doesnt hold the string on mine. I am using the string that it calls for, but its like the holes grow as time goes on.. I cant wait to hear the answer to this one cus Im about ready to throw mine in the trash.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This can be a semi-tricky thing. I'm not real familiar with this head...is it like a standard bump head? (Maybe some of the more experienced guys who know both can chime in here. Anyway, one of the thing you have to watch is - that you don't let the lines cross when winding them up. If they do, they will stop feeding. Now, when you are done respooling the head, when you put the strings into the slots, you have to make sure that the BOTTOM string (as the head sits with the bottom down - like it does on the trimmer) goes in to a slot first, then the TOP string unwinds the half revolution to the next slot. Otherwise, you have just crossed the lines again. When you feed the lines into the eyelets and put the spool into the head assembly, as you turn the spoolhead to lock in, pull the slack out of the strings by pulling them out the eyelets (outward). Otherwise, what can happen is as you rotate the spool inside, it loosens too much string off the spool (unravels a bit) and the string can croos over ABOVE the spool while inside the head casing. I hope this helps and is understandable. Oh,....another thing? Cheaper string can actually "weld" itself together side by side.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well if it was not happining to you before..with the original string..and your stringing it the same way as you did the original string..I'd switch back to the original string and see if it keeps happining..if it does then your re-stringing wrong..if it does not then it is the titainium string

5. howardsells2000

I felt like throwing mine in the trash today aswell.

6. howardsells2000

I fought with it again all day. I will be buying some new string and try that. I was talking with a friend who also mow's lawns. He told me to stop messing with the dual feed and only wrap the string so I only have one string coming out. I tried that and it still messed up. I think it's costing me alot of time and it is very frustrating. Hopefully new string will fix it.

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Did you not do as I advised?Or are you asking this just for the fun of it.

8. howardsells2000

I didn't have time today to buy new string. I did try what " Runner " had suggested. I consentrated on trying to wind it properly. Hopefully I will have some time to buy string tomorrow. I will let you know how it works.