Trimmer string keeps breaking off in head!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by baldbeefman, Jun 19, 2001.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I live to hear the "soak it in water" it make me laugh...plastic will not soak up water...
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ChuckPMi

ChuckPMi LawnSite Member

3. cgaengineer

4. ChuckPMi

ChuckPMi LawnSite Member

All polymers absorb moisture. From the Oregon website: Important Trimmer Line Information: Any monofilament trimmer line can lose moisture over time or become brittle, especially if subjected to heat and sunlight.
    To reduce brittleness, Oregon Cutting Systems recommends that line be submerged in water for 24 hours when the line appears to become brittle.

http://www.oregonchain.com/pdf/OEP/fb_supertwist.pdf

If you know more than the company that makes the line, I won't say any more.

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Uh oh, I smell a new use for fluid film!

6. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

+1.
    A guy I work with is like that! Thinks somebody died and left him God.

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I knew some numbnut would make fun of the idea. However after reading many of your posts here previously, I'm suprised it was you.:hammerhead:

Read the post above from ChuckPMi with the quote from Oregon. I have done it and it works. From the sound of your post, obviously you haven't. You know the old saying- "don't knock it 'til you try it". Words to heed bro.

PS: you might want to make sure you use the correct wording and spelling when you post and make fun of someone else's post.

Thanks for posting the info and link Chuck. I couldn't remember exactly where all I had read it. Oregon isn't the only one to suggest it either. It's in some of my brochures from other companies as well.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  8. lildevil_66

lildevil_66 LawnSite Member

When I purchased my new Stihl FS100R I had the same trouble. Being used to 2 stroke trimmers that I could feather the throttle, I had not problems using the trimmer to edge curbings and such with. However, the new 4 mix motor of the Stihl, I found it difficult if not impossible to feather the trigger and this was causing string breaks since I was trying to run it a WOT. I found that if I would lock the trigger like when starting that a comfortable RPM for edging was acheived. This helped tremendously with the line breakage. Also being sure that you're not to close to your work is very helpful. I also found out going backwards is better than forwards but this sometimes causes mis-steps which can cause embarrassing moments ( from experience ). It did help me in getting a "feel" for the new trimmer. My Husqvarna 324LDx is my favorite trimmer and the easiest head to rewind, I never had the line break trouble with it. Hope this helps.

9. cgaengineer

Wasn't making fun, just don't believe it...and still don't.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I admit I was slightly skeptical myself since even though the material is a co-polymer, it feels like plain old plastic. I purchased a 3 lb spool of Echo Crossfire at the very end of fall last year and it sat in my truck's tool box all winter, then all through the heat so far this year, and about a month ago or a bit more, I noticed it wasn't lasting worth spit any longer. I decided to try soaking the entire spool (like recommended) in a 3 gallon pale of water for at least 24 hours (I think I let is soak for 48) and it made a huge difference, and it is still staying fairly soft and flexible a month later, and I am not having anywhere near the problem I was with it snapping off along chain link, or while edging. I am also having good luck whipping the enormous amount of cracks clean of grass in the parking lot at one of my properties. Before soaking it I barely made it a few feet along a crack before I had to bump the head, and now I can go for quite a few entire cracks before I have to bump out more line. I get paid good money to do it, but having to constantly bump the head was slowing me way down, and using way too much line as well.