trimmer string melting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BerksLawn, Jun 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

Yesterday we were having a problem on the last yard. I was using the redmax trimmer and the string kept melting together. This has happened before but never this much, is there anyway to prevent it? Thanks for your help in advance.
  2. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

I've never had my string really melt together. It may be the quality of the string?
  3. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I was going to post a thread about this the other day. I have been having the same problem now and again. Does it just melt together, then not feed, and you run out of line? It's really annoying but I dont know if there is anything one can do about it. What brand of line are you using?
  4. Grateful11

Grateful11 LawnSite Member

I think whats happening is when you snag something it pulls the line and stretchs it and takes all the slack out of the spool. This in turn creates friction between the strands and welds the line together. It happens alot with my Shiny fully auto head in heavy weeds or if I snag a guy wire. Some brands weld together worse than others. I've actually pulled mine apart and the line will break at the worst welded spot.:angel:
  5. Fallguy

Fallguy LawnSite Member

i cannot say i have ever had that problem and i have done some serious weedeating before to this day teh longest i have ever weedeated in one length of time was 3 hours it took me to to do this one mans ditch that was approimately 1/3 of a football field - it was weeds and brush that was approximately knee deep and some weeds were the big 1in diamiter that smack you in the face - i was solid green by the time i was through and only charged him $75 per cut every 3 weeks - insane i know - but i was young and nieve - anyhoo - i tried to negotiate with the man and tell him that it would be $100 a cut from now on and he said we could renigotiate next year - so i said ok - just to get paid - then i never returned - i hope he busts his azz as many times as i did trying to cut that goat hill - oh - by the way - he said the last guy doing it was charging $50 every 3 weeks - lol - like to see him get that guy back
  6. Fallguy

Fallguy LawnSite Member

you might be getting excessive heat from the shaft going into the housing - might want to check your housing for grease - make sure its full of fresh grease and try a different line.
  7. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

were using william shakespere or something like that the wal mart brand u no its .95. Its great for edging, we havent had this problem in the echo yet just the redmax and i just went out and greased it, my dad had no problem today so problem solved for now.
  8. JOshua Gallerick

JOshua Gallerick LawnSite Member

I had the same problem with my string trimmer. A rep from silver streak had me try out a new type of string with aluminum in it. I tried it and it works great. The
    aluminum acts as a radiator for the string and helps keep it cool. so ya might want to try it.
  9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I don't know exactly why the string is melting but the cure is to bump the head and advance the line.

you gotta feed those trimmers line!

you can't save money saving line!

you may say you are feeding line but if you are having the melting problem, try extra feeding of the line and see.

10. Fallguy

Fallguy LawnSite Member

you can save money saving line - because your saving time by not having to spool your line so much - especially if you have new boys your breaking in and every time they run outta string your having to stop and show them how to do it - my guys arent intelectual giants - neither am i but i can wind line into a trimmer and about 5 times faster than they can - if i have to stop more than usuall i tell them im gonna dock them pay as a incentive to learn quickly
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.