1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trimmer string Poll (what brand is best)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, May 31, 2002.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I am curious as to what you feel is the (longest lasting, strongest) trimmer string.

I have used Stihl, and Craftsman brands and I find the Craftsman string welds less and lasts longer.

The craftsman has a patented 8 point shape. Size does matter, and I am refering to .095" diameter.

Thanks for your input.

2. Wayward

Wayward LawnSite Member

I've been using Echo .095 Crossfire for some time now. It cuts well but tends to fray on the ends. I just picked up 3 lbs of Husqvarna titanium line. It's definately tougher than the Echo line and doesn't seem to fray at all. It's also picky about how you wind it on the spool. If I don't wind it just right it won't feed.
  3. Plowguy99

Plowguy99 LawnSite Member
    from MI

I have used the echo crossfire.095 before and liked it ok. I just picked up a spool of .095 gator line. I like it alot. It seems to last longer than the crossfire and it cuts through thick grass better.
    I have noticed it doesn't feed quite as nice as the crossfire, but I haven't had it jam up yet.
  4. danny van hoozer

danny van hoozer LawnSite Member

I have used many different lines over the years. All shapes and sizes. Always went back to the green STIHL line in 95 diameter. Have had some customers prefer the green color also. I guess you always take for granted the little things like string color.
  5. Plowguy99

Plowguy99 LawnSite Member
    from MI

I like the green line also. (the gator line is green) I hate seeing pieces of orange line laying in someones yard or landscaping.
  6. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I use Lesco .095 sq. I buy the 3 lb roll . It hangs in Garage with a

cutter usually take it in 12' lengths or 2 arm lengths. Usually cut

3 lengths put it behind seat in truck.
  7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I have never been able to tell a difference in cutting between round line and shaped line. Completely unscientifically, it seems to me that round line lasts longer. Maybe because the shaped lines have less material in the same diameter?
  8. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

I've been using the husky "titanium " line for a while now, it's pretty durable compared to a lot of lines i've used and doesn't fray at the ends, it is a little tough to get wound on a bumphead or it won't feed right , But I like it so far.
  9. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl .095". Haven't used any of the shaped lines to say what is better. I'm happy with what I use.
  10. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I have used Shakespere,Echo Crossfire,Stihl, and TrailBlazer. I think the Crossfire cuts nice but it also tends to jam up a little. I have the most of the Trailblazer so that is what I am using right now. It is flexable and feeds nice but also tends to weld togather sometimes which ticks me off.