Trimmer string use

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QC Lawn Services, Jul 14, 2004.

1. QC Lawn Services

QC Lawn Services LawnSite Member

I was wondering how fast people go thru the line in a trimmer spool. I know that spools are different sizes and the line can be different sizes, but it seems to me that I have to re-spool my trimmer about once every 3 lawns. Now I do use the trimmer to trimming around fences and stone and edging along curbs, so maybe my expectations are too high. I just wanted to get other peoples thoughts on the matter. In addition, if I am doing something wrong, please feel free to lend your suggestions.

2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Could be the line you're using. I had some line that was like that one time, it seemed to be brittle. I'm now using square line and I like it a lot because it's a lot tougher.

3. QC Lawn Services

QC Lawn Services LawnSite Member

We recently switched to an "X" line and that has helped in how long it lasts. I was just wondering if our string usage is similar to what others have.

4. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I think a lot depends on the size (diameter) you are using. I was using 0.080 and was going through it like you describe, very three yards, and it was always coming loose.
    Then I switched to 0.095, and this works GREAT! I respool maybe every 20 or 25 houses now, and it stays put, and works like it should. I think it matters what type of spool you have, and what size is recommended for it.
    I couldn't be happier with the 0.095, but then again, I hadn't tried the 0.1 yet!:rolleyes:

5. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I'm using the Husqavarna Titanium .095 and find that I have to respool about every 20-25 yards (average size residential lots)

6. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I use .95 Gatorline. It outlasts any line I have ever tried.

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

We use our SRM trimmers probably 75% of the time but carry 3 different makes on the trailer. We use .095 Echo Crossfire on them all and on our Echo SRM trimmers it also only last about 3 jobs, but the SRM spools are pretty small so that is only about 6 hand to hand stretches of line per spool. We also because the Echo OEM SRM spools are only $11 ea we keep several loaded on the truck and just replace the spool and that way we only have to respool at the shop. The Redmax we bought is so new I'm not sure on it yet and the Stihl's spools are so big they hold a ton of line and last much longer.

8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I use the Gatorline in 105. myself. It is the best I've used yet, and a close second would be the Husky titanium line in 105. as well. I still went through about 3 spools a day though, LOTS of chainlink around here.:(

9. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Using the Gator also. We re-spool several time a day.

10. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

.105 with titanium. Works like a charm for me.