Trimmer String vs Trimmer Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CLC, Jul 6, 2001.

1. CLC

CLC LawnSite Member

Who uses what Im thinkin bout going to blades any info will help THANKS
  2. Calvin

Calvin Banned
    from Ontario

My dealer tells me he only sells the blades to homeowners, usually women, who can't figure out how to work the string. Don't see how they could possibly compare to string for comm use.
  3. BrandonGT

BrandonGT Guest

I would personally go for trimmer string..

If you hit the blade against the sidewalk or something really hard, you could possibly break it.

And, the blade would really tear up wire fences.
  4. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

I only use a blade for REALLY nasty weed clearing (Scentless Chamomile thats about 3' high for instance). Too many problems with blades for anything else.
    I'm also not sure that I would trust a dealer that sells blades to people that can't figure out the string thing.

5. i only have 2 trimmers at the moment. one has a regular head on it with string, that is for cuttin grass. the other one (old one) sits most of the time, however i can put a regular head on it. but right now i keep a little piece of garbage poly head on it. i use it for cuttin tall grass. i have that on an srm2100. i find that you dont even have to squeeze the trigger all that much and the thing is flying around really, really fast. you dont cut much with it, and i just dont like it, for tall stuff its much better than the string, but for cuttin grass i go with the string.,