Trimmer string

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ChadsLawn, May 8, 2001.

1. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems to be slowing down in here some.Hope its because your all busy cuting grass.
    But anyways what size and what kind of trimmer string do we all use.
    I use 2 different kinds.1 is 95 and the other is 80.80 is for fine trimming i do on some yards.

2. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I was using echo 095 round . the crossfire chewed up whatever the help got near.

I recently tried a spool of 095 from Landscapers Supply--what a dissapointment. it wears VERY quickly compaired to echo and the head keeps jamming from the line fusing together from the heat. I think this line is good for nothing.
    I'm switching back to echo.

jeffyr

3. Grateful11

Grateful11 LawnSite Member

I've been using Echo Crossfire and it seems good but will occasionally fray out on the ends and it cut like crap when that happens. I had to replace a head last week and it came with some real crap but it's almost all gone. I did notice the other day while I was in Big Lots that they had Suffix brand line. I picked up a small qtr. lbs. spool just to try it. I used to use Windmill line but you can't find it anymore. I think the best line I ever had was Shindaiwa line but the dealers too far away to get more and the Shiny never fails, knock on wood, so I don't have a reason to go to the dealer.

4. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

i thought i was the only one with problems with that landscapers supply diamond line jamming and fusing together.strange ,i didn't have this much problems last year with it. anyone try any spray lube on it??

5. turfguy33

turfguy33 LawnSite Member

I have several trimmers, some are used for residentials, and the others are used for heavey trimming like ditches and places with heavy growth. For residentials mowing, I use the Shindaiwa .095 line, and it does ok. But for some all out kicking butt trimming, I always use the Husqvarna Titanium Force .15 line. This line is so so strong, that I can barely see any wear on the string, I only bump it occasionally. This only downfall is that is it almost too strong, and you really have to watch out or you can do some extreme damage to aluminum siding, or woodien fences.
    Tim

Oh yea, I use to use all Shindaiwa trimmers, but I believe I'm going to switch to Kawisaki, I love my new 26A. A whole lot lighter and I believe its more powerful. Not to mention cheaper too

6. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

Gratefull11, you can't find a dealer close to you in salisbury?
    Try the dealer locator at www.shindaiwa.com Surely there's one in Winston, just pick up a 5 pound spool.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I always use .095. Anything bigger just seems too blunt and heavy. I usually used Echo, but since the dealer was out, I bought I think Shindaiwa or Redmax, one of the two. This worked pretty well. I tried some of that stuff with the aluminum or metalic filament, whatever it was, and I didn't care for that one bit. This time, I bought a spool of .095 round Gatorline. Now you wanna talk about a nice line! This stuff is made with a hard filament center that is coated with a clear "non-welding" casing. Works great!

8. Grateful11

Grateful11 LawnSite Member

Quote: Gratefull11, you can't find a dealer close to you in salisbury? Surely there's one in Winston.

Yeah I can find them just fine. I never said I couldn't find one. I said I couldn't find Windmill line anymore. Winston-Salem is 45-50 miles away. The nearest dealer, about 15 miles away, stocks next to nothing. I've got 3 power equipment cos within 6 miles and I find it hard to drive 50 miles to get a spool of line. I wished we had a decent Shin. dealer nearby but we don't. My next trimmer purchase will probably be something besides Shiny.

9. Mike (MLC)

Mike (MLC) LawnSite Member

I use the Echo Crossfire 105. For me it last longer. It's good because it doesn't break off, it just wears down.

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I use .095. I usually pick up the stihl spools. May try some other brands later.

I always use green line only. With the grass being green it matches the grass so the customer doesn't see this all over their lawns. I hate going somewhere and seeing different colors. Stick out as poor work to me.