Trimmer string

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenchoppers, Jan 31, 2011.

1. greenchoppers

greenchoppers LawnSite Member

Hello Members,

We are using .095 Diamond Edge trimmer line (the orange one). We are having problems with the string sticking inside the spools while sitting in our trailer.

We have tried spraying silicone lubricant on the heads with little success. It seems the string is kind of melting together. If you take the spool out of the head, sometimes we cannot physically pull the string off the spool so naturally it will not dispense freely.

This problem only happens on string sitting in the trimmers between yards etc. It does not happen with pre-filled spools sitting in the truck or while the string is still on the big spool.

We have an open trailer and the string is exposed to the elements. We have been told to keep the string inside but our dispenser is mounted on the trailer and I don't really want it inside the truck.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

try greasing the trimmer head gears on it.

3. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had this problem before and the dealer told me to put less string in the head so it wont "weld" together. Sounds backwards I know, but it seems to have helped the issue.

4. LibertyFarmLandscaping

LibertyFarmLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE TX

You might try the Stihl x-line string. We use it in .95 and .105 on open trailers with no problems. The cost is kind of high but it lasts much longer than alot of other brands that we tried.

5. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep your string inside something and out of the sun. Something like a soft sided cooler. If it gets some age on it you can soak the whole spool in water overnight. Like All Toro said don't fill the spool all the way up. The "welding together" sounds like either the sun or age issue.

6. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Spray the spool and string down with Fluid Film....it works great.

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see this as a string issue. I have never had a head or gear housing heat up to the point of melting the line. I think greg is right and your grease is gone causing overheated gears.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

One trimmer, 2 operators. The trimmer line only welds when one operator uses it. Why???

The operator that has a welding problem tends to wait until there is only about an inch of line sticking out of the head before he advances the line. The operator that keeps plenty of line out has no problems with welding.

It is true and I had a helper for a couple of days and he would run the line right down to the head before he would try to advance it. Of course by then there wasn't enough momentum in the line to pull it out of the head. Then he would just keep on using it and I guess the RPM got so high that the head got a little warm and welded the line in place. I had to disassemble the head about once every half hour and fix it for him.

Which guy are you?

9. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Had the same problem after I hired a helper. Myself, I've used miles of the Echo Crossfire line on their bumpheads without a problem. After I saw what Richard experienced, and I explained the principles of centrifical force to the helper, we didn't have that problem again either. (Now he goes through line like I own stock in Echo.)

10. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

Never had that problem but if I do, I'm already 2 steps ahead of the game!