Trimmer String

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowinginva, Apr 26, 2013.

1. mowinginva

mowinginva LawnSite Senior Member

What brand trimmer string available in .095 is the most durable? I've been using Husqvarna Titanium, but when I last purchased some, there seemed to be a difference in it. It seems to be wearing quite fast.

2. CurbAppealKS

CurbAppealKS LawnSite Senior Member

I use gator line from Oregon. I use my trimmers for edgers as well and it lasts a surprisingly long time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. morgaj1

morgaj1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have had really good luck with Echo Crossfire line.

4. Southern Lawn Care  LLC

Southern Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I use Ugly Line from lowes. Best stuff I'm come across

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I used Crossfire all last season and it does pretty well, but the Oregon Gator Magnum with the aramid chord in the center lasts a lot better, especially if you edge with it.

I just picked up some of their newer Gator Super Twist Platinum line, but since the season is so slow getting underway here this year, I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I bough .105" and it is the exact same diameter as most other brands of .095" for some reason. It doesn't have the aramid chord in the center, but it does have a special outer shell that is supposed to make it last well. We'll see.

6. mowinginva

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep these suggestions in mind. Of course, I just bought a new pack of the Husqvarna line, so in order not to waste, I'll have to use that up. Shouldn't take too long to do so.:cry:

7. jackal

jackal LawnSite Senior Member

I use Shihl commercial, comes in three pound spools. Chain link fences eat it up no matter how good it is.

8. I like that Husqvarna Titanium line pretty well but, last year Mowpart.com had some dark blue colored .095 that has been holding up fairly well after I let the whole 5lbs. reel of it soak in some water for a while. I always had good durability out of the Husqvarna line but, I never bought more than the 3lbs. reel. You might try soaking it in some water and see if that doesn't help keep it from breaking prematurely.

My own personal preference in trimmer line color is going to be a dark colored line that is inconspicuous when it breaks in someone yard. Seeing a bright yellow, orange, or red colored piece of trimmer line left behind in a yard just make me cringe a little.

9. C Johns

C Johns LawnSite Member

Redmax its braided string, really strong

10. mowinginva

Yeah, chain-link fences and concrete walls/foundations eat my string up.