Trimmer - Tanaka TBC 225 or Kawasaki KTR27A?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sensor419, Apr 22, 2007.

1. sensor419

sensor419 LawnSite Member

I am looking to purchase either the Tanaka TBC 225 or Kawasaki KTR27A trimmer. I know they are high end residential or lower end commercial quality and would like to hear any experiences that you have with these. Thanks.

2. vanguard

vanguard LawnSite Member

We've had a KTR27 on the rack for 3 years no problems what so ever. It a great trimmer for the price, $189-$200. Like it way better then the Shin T231.
    We just picked up a Redmax for this season and can't tell how much more I'll like it yet?(super light 2300)

Good luck!

3. sensor419

sensor419 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the response. Any experience with the Tanaka?

4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I would suggest stepping up to the 230 Tanaka. Same engine, bigger head, and it has an anti vibe thing between the engine and shaft that the 225 does not.

5. LandscaperPro

LandscaperPro Sponsor

6. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

Get the Tanaka - Kawasaki trimmers are constructed like a child's plastic playtoy. I was interested in the Kawasaki trimmers once too, that is until I saw one up close and held it.

Stick with the well-constructed commercial trimmers like Tanaka, RedMax, Stihl, Shindaiwa, and Maruyama. A lot of guys like Echo too.

7. nick-bigfootlawn

nick-bigfootlawn LawnSite Member

Vanguard, in what ways did you like the KTR27 more than the T231 by Shindaiwa?

8. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. I love my Tanaka and Echo trimmers WAY over the Kaw! And I bought a Kaw cordless drill last year -- that was crap from day one, I just never went through the trouble of taking it back. No more Kaw products for me! (Except for engines on my mowers, etc.)

9. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

Right On!!! :clapping:

10. vanguard

vanguard LawnSite Member

Only the hedge trimmers.