Trimmer throttle

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker/redmax, Jul 6, 2006.

1. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

Hey what trimmers are you running at what throttle level? For normal grass I run my 25cc and 30cc Redmax trimmers at about 1/4 to 1/2 open and for thick grass, alfalfa and brush its wide open.:)
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

trimmer engines are designed to and preform best being run wide open throttle
  3. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i usualy only run what is needed, but my trimmer has started to become a bit slugish. the echo GT-200R, i am running .105 line and it cuts well, but it just seems to me like it doesn't have the power it did last year when it was new.
  4. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

This is true, especially with 2 stroke engines.
  5. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

I don't doubt that but when you are running full throttle it is really easy to put a whole in someones lawn. That is why I usually run 'em at less.
  6. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I usually run my trimmer at about half throttle and then open it up if I need to. At full throttle it really throws stuff back at you and one little slip up and you can really do some damage to lawn, fence, siding or whatever you are trimming against.

In my experience, for most applications, half throttle will get you through the job at a very good speed with quality results.
  7. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Half for regular, wide open for heavy stuff.
  8. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

Grass blades cut really easy at much less than full or half throttle, so when working around trees,fences,cars, etc., I use considerably less.
  9. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Usually around 3/4 throttle. I have found that by not running at full throttle, I have to clean out the exhaust port more often. Then it's like a new trimmer again.
  10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

1/2 mostly, 3/4 if i wanna get things done faster.