1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trimmer to EDGE with?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Which trimmer do you find it best to EDGE with?

My current trimmer is a Ryobi and it's what I started with. Although it has been said that Ryobi is ****, and I can see that it is, I have *NOT* been able to kill this thing for nothing! It just keeps on running.

Well, anyway, on starting it last week, the pull-cord ripped out of the re-coil. So I have to fix that (if it is even fixable haha)

So I'm looking for a new "REAL" trimmer.

What I loved is that the Ryobi had the famous split-boom so I could turn the head 90 degrees and use it to edge with, all the while holding the machine in the same way I do as when trimming. I could walk around an entire property and switch back and forth from edger to trimmer in 2 seconds time, and it worked great. And using .95 line, it put down some great edges that are easy to maintain.

So what do you recommend as a trimmer that is also easy to edge with? Thanks!

2. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl FS 80. I've got a Honda umk431 I like trimming with better but it can not edge worth a hoot. The Stihl is a good solid trimmer and does a great job at edging, has a better head design too.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I had the same Ryobi with all the attachments that I just couldn't seem to kill. Well, I finally did. I bought a Stihl FS 85 R. It's a great trimmer. But I'm afraid you'll be a bit disappointed for a while coming from the Ryobi. The rotation option, attachments and most of all...clockwise head rotation are all features I miss.

You may want to take a look at the split boom offering from the major companies. In ABC order, Echo, Redmax, Shindawia and Stihl all offer them. But other than the attachments, I "think" you still loose the other features I miss.
  4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Shindaiwa T-270. Leave the edger at home. 'Nuff said.
  5. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

I use the Echo SB260, Bump Head and (believe it or not) an 'edgit' I got the edgit almost as a lark, just to see what all the fuss is about, well the darn thing is great.. 260 has enough muscle to spin the extra line when trimming and the edgit guide makes edging a real snap plus it cut down on a good share of the junk flying around the operator when using it.
    NOTE I do not spend all day behind the trimmer, if I did I would have to reevaluate because the edgit does add a lot of weight at the end of the shaft.
  6. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

husqvarna 323l .......light, powerful, you can run it all day...
  7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Any good "commercial " straight shaft (I have Echo) trimmer with and edgit. www.edgit.com teach yourself to trim and edge with you right hand controling the head and your left hand the throttle, and learn to "follow the edge".

8. turfcare

turfcare LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl FS-85
  9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I have a Stihl FS80 trimmer but could not learn to edge with it. I got a used Echo SRM2400SB split boom with a hedge trimmer attachment for $140 (for unit and hedger) and bought an edger attachment for $99. I leave the edger on all the time and trim with Stihl and edge with Echo. Works great, plenty of power on established edges and it does OK for new edges. Most of my jobs only need edged every other week but if they needed it weekly I'd possibly consider getting an Edgit instead, to save time switching machines and cold starting the Echo.

10. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl FS85RT with edger attachment.