1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trimmer Trap + 2 1/2 years = Shaft broken in half

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, Aug 5, 2008.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Shaft just broke in half today on one of our SRM-230 trimmers caused by the Trimmer Trap. Anybody else ever experiance this? The trimmer fit in nice and snug. I guess the bouncing over the last 2 1/2 years fatigued the shaft and it finally snapped.

No more trimmer racks for us from now on I guess. :cry:
  2. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

i had this problem with a shindiawa trimmer, the metal shaft just wore right down from rubbing against the rack, broke right in half also, now i put a piece of foam like what goes on the handle bars of a kids bike, in the spot ware there is bare metal touching the rack, i was not a happy camper
  3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Thats a good idea I will have to give that a try. Luckily we have 3 old echo trimmers for spare parts and im sure one of them is an SRM-230 i can steal the shaft from.
  4. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I had the trimmer trap...I think it is a good rack but now I have the extreme, and would never go back. Good luck, Tony
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

No problems with mine at all. My Stihl edger has been riding around in them since about 2000.

This is the first time I've ever heard someone blame a rack for cutting their trimmer in half.
  6. Hi guys,

Check out our xtreme series trimmer rack. It totally eliminates movement in the rack, which eliminates shaft wear.

Remember, lawnsite customers get 10% off when they use coupon code lawnsite1