Trimmer trap, Blade blocker, chute stopper thing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman16, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Mowman16

Mowman16 LawnSite Senior Member

Dose anyone use these? I was thinking about one but I wanted some input first. My goal is to keep the grass out of mulch beds on that second pass when the chute is pointed that way. Any info?:confused:

2. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

I installed a Advance Chute to mine and I love it

3. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have one on my 60" exmark and it works great for controlling the discharged grass. I even use it with gator blades to mulch leaves. Mine was made by york sheet metal for Exmarks. Wish i could find one for my Scags.

4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

5. Brett's Cutting Edge

Brett's Cutting Edge LawnSite Member
    from novi

Last year I got some 1/8 steal plating and made my own plate. I works good but it doesn't have ahandel on it yet to open and close it. Thats coming this year.

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have what is sold by another catalog seller but what seems to be in fact the Trimmer trap ocdc on my gravely. It works well enough, but the instructions were a joke and they pretty much leave you to your own devices to get it installed. The hardware included was 90% wrong and not what the instructions indicated. So half the battle was figuring out which items I needed to mount it with. It's made to fit a large variety of mowers, so that's part of the install problem. Still, you'd think they could do better than a copy of a copy with unreadable diagrams. If you got the right hardware included and saw it mounted on another mower clearly, you'd be able to get it on with a few holes drilled in your deck and some time for fine tuning the adjustments. I didn't like that you have to drill through the vertical handle rod to make it stay in its slot. They couldn't pre-drill that for you or use a tubular piece of steel that was pre-drilled? It's a little vulnerable looking, and you have to really be clever to get it where it will flip all the way up and clear fences at both the chute and handle levels. I had to install a removable pin on the handle to allow it to fall back far enough to clear so I could squeeze in tight gates. But each mower install is different so you may not have that problem.

However, if you have an Exmark, and want an inexpensive unit, I find the EZ chute vastly superior in terms of fit/finish/appearance/predicted durability and much easier to install. It's made to fit your mower so it's a simple, fast, no drill install. I have used one for a couple years on/off (mulch a lot of the time) and other than the handle on top unscrewing from vibrations and falling off, no problems. The somewhat cleaner handle design means its less likely to snag and get ripped off on a passing object, too.