Trimmer trouble

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Highlander, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Highlander

Highlander LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Maybe a lot of eyes will roll when I say that I have been using a Homelite trimmer for the last three years (for many it "ain't" real unless it is labelled commercial). I purchased a Tanaka with several attachments at the same time as the Homelite but never used it as a trimmer until today (because the Homelite finally gave out). Turns out that the Tanaka rotatates in the opposite direction as the Homelite and I spent the whole day learning how to trim backwards due to the couter clockwise rotation of the head. A quick call to the dealer revealed that "all commercial trimmers rotate in the opposite direction when compared to residential models." My questions to you guys are:

1) Why the oppostite rotation?

2) Do you have to trim walking backwards or is there a better way?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Jim
    Lawns Plus

2. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: always walk to the left and backward days are over. as for the opposite rotation dealer claims that the grass will lift as opposed to getting pushed down. tony

3. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Thats why I only use Homelite,I got sick of doing everything backwards and getting covered in grass all the time.If you got 3 years out of the Homelite why didn't you buy another?.The heads on the other brand trimmers spin the opposite way because the idiots that designed them have obviously never used one day in day out in a commercial situation.Now wait for 3000 posts from all the other brand trimmer users pouring **** on Homelite.:D .Cheers...

4. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

The engines always turn the same direction. (I don't know why it's just something you must except) A curved shaft trimmer is direct drive( head will turn same direction as engine) [home owner models are usually curved shafts] Straight shafts have a gear drive which changes the axis of rotation and changes the direction of rotation.[commercial trimmers] You can walk forward fine with a slight drop in performance. At least you won't back yourself into a wall or fall backward. I am practicing going left handed. Aughhhh!

Mark

5. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

If I am not mistaken, I think echo offers a commercial grade curved shaft that spins the same as a homelite. I was given one of the home grade curved shaft, and I love it. Snapper

6. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I have never had that experience, but I imagine it would be quite a change and learning curve.

I find that holding the trimmer trigger with my left hand works best for me. I am right handed, so my strong hand is guiding the trimmer at the handle. Also, this way your body is on the other side of the shaft. You will experience less “wash” from the debris and stay a little cleaner.

I bevel trim walking forward, left to right, and vertical trim backwards walking right to left. For all other trimming I walk forward right to left. Are you confused yet?<G>

Just don’t give up. Time is all you need.

7. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I'm not laughing at you, Highlander.

I've got 2 Homelite straight shafts that I've been using for 3 years also. "Zip Starts". And they still fire up on the 1st or 2nd tug of the rope. Unbelievable. One is my primary and the other is supposed to be a backup. The 'backup' is hardly used. They just wont die. Must be the Opti-2 fuel mix and grease packing jobs I give the gear boxes every couple of months or so.

I've gotten Redmax stuff as the need arose (backpack blower, hedge trimmer). I'm still waiting for the primary trimmer to die so that I can get a Redmax trimmer too.

I guess the grandkids (if I ever have kids) will inherit the Homelite 'backup' trimmer. :D

8. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess I'm confused? Commercial machines spin backwards and this makes you walk backwards when trimming? Why? We have used Stihl and echo in the past and for the past 5 years redmax and they all spin the same way.. Maybe the homolite is the one spinning backwards... However, It does seem like everytime we try to train a new guy we glance over at him and there he is walking backwards while trimming. Just can't figure it out until now, maybe they have been using homeowner models in the past and the redmax trimmers is like exploring new ground..

9. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

I really don't know about homelite trimmers but we have been using shindiawa trimmers for years and i cant edge forward or backwards at a fast pace. i usually go forward because it looks better( it lifts the grass up then cuts it)