Trimmer Wage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wriken, Jun 1, 2004.

1. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Equipment operators wages for lawn care are around 6.50-10.00 per hour around here. I'm thinking of adding a 3rd guy, just to trim and blow, 2 days per week. This is for my 2 days that we drop the deck and do up to 22 lawns in a area, I'm assuming it will speed up things, thus more lawn yet could be done. These 2 days of cutting are probably 99% 1 acre lots, some have alot of trimming. What would you guys pay such a person to trim?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would say around $7.00 to $8.00 if that is all he has to do

3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

My trimmer guy is the highest paid employee on the crew.

4. wriken

My crew leader is my highest paid employee. I know trimming is a tedious job and has to be done right, but he will never make more then his boss.

5. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

What's minimum wage these days? I thought it was around 6.50...

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have to agree, the foreman was always the highest paid. I feel that the mowing is more important than the trimming, so the trimming shouldn't be paid as much

7. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Your going to have to make it worth his wile to just work 2 days a week with no guaranteed 40hrs.

8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with you Troy...............lol

9. wriken

the guy in mind, does absolutly nothing, live's with one of my employee's, so I figure 2 days are better then none.

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

well duh! I'd say between $6.50 and $10.00.

but what I can't figure is that those wages are paid here...in the South.... every person that I have ever met from the north has told me that they made a killing at work until they came to the stupid south.

all of my life I have heard about northern wages but what I am reading shocks me!

we have room cleaners here making more money than your northern equipment operators.

I was hired at home cheapo in 1996 at $9.00/hr, here in the stupid, ignorant south. if I had stayed there I'd probably be making $9.25 by now!

I just don't understand this Southern wage desparity thing.

GEO :confused: