Trimmer was running like crap... (FS80)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dashunde, May 28, 2006.

1. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a new FS80 a few weeks ago. Right away I didnt like the way it ran.
    It was rough, hard to start, didnt make much power, and was generally pi$$ing me off.

Then a few weeks of use pass... Its a whole new machine! :cool2:
    Starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull (instead of 9th or 10th) and runs real strong and smooth.

I guess there is a lot to be said for "break in" periods... although I have never had a Stihl before that needed one to run right.

My only gripe is that the plastic above the head, where my elbow touches down is too damned hot some of the time.

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

New trimmer take out the screen in the muffler.

3. Yup, what Turf Doctor said.
    Also run synthetic 2-cycle oil at 85/1 ratio in Stihl products and problems just melt away.
    My fs110 will start from cold on one pull!

4. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

both my 85 and 110 start on the second pull guaranteed, if not the first. and my 85 is about 3 years old.

5. LandscapeMasterpieceGA

LandscapeMasterpieceGA LawnSite Member

My BG85 took about 2 weeks to say-"Hey, Im easy, sleazy, and a really cost-efficient blow", I mean, it took 2 weeks to get broken in and perform how I like my blowers to perform.

Virgins need time.

6. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

What is there to gain by taking out the screen in the muffler? I took all of mine out and blew them out with air and then reinstalled them.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I know what you mean, I used to love resting my elbow there but I tell you it is best to break yourself of that habit in case you ever get an Echo lol...

I had gotten so used to doing it, when I got the Echo, first the muffler is on one side and the spark plug on the other so I try and rest my elbow and I'd either get burned or shocked because there's just not enough space.

Over the years, I stopped trying to rest my elbow thou the new FS100 tempts me somedays.

8. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

the screen is for use in a forest. it is a spark arrestor. over time it will clog up and it will loose power and then not run also it will build up in the muffler then to. i take mine out right away or even one dealer here pops them out when he takes it out to start the first time.
    i even have 3 stihl blowers all bought at the same time. i took out all 3 screens right away, well one blower bogs and never as strong as the other 2 here by the exhaust hole with no screen there was alot of buildup, i cleaned it and now runs like the other 2.. screens are no good for any reason.

9. coyotekid

coyotekid LawnSite Member

It's all in the proper jetting! All my Stihls act funky in regards to carburetor jetting until they're completely broken-in, and then they'll respond to tweaking and tuning.

A Stihl should start first or second pull, regardless.

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i bought a new sthil hand blower once .it ran like crap and never did get broken in. allways ran like crap. sthil stuff is crap!