Trimmer (weed eater)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joeypotts, May 9, 2002.

1. joeypotts

joeypotts LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy a new commercial trimmer and each dealer claims theirs is the best. (Of course) So I thought I would ask the other pros out there what is your favorite trimmer. I was looking at a Shindaiwa T260, but Kawasaki and Makita make some nice ones too. Thanks for any recommendations.

2. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I use both the makita and Echo. I think the echo is more durable and easier to get parts for in this area, but the Makita is very powerful and light. I do sevral large accounts where I need to use a trimmer for 1-2 hours and its all about the weight. Most of the major brands are well made and most have light models....If I was you I would ask your repairman for some suggestions Good Luck

3. digger1

digger1 LawnSite Member

prefer Echo brand myself (SRM2400). More important though is your accessability to parts. purchase trimmer that 2 or more dealers in your area stock that same brand. if you need parts and one doesn't have it, perhaps the other will.
    downtime waiting for parts is $$$$$ you are missing out on.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Of your choices, shindaiwa is the superior machine.

5. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Joey,
    the general concenses on here is a three way tie between, shin, echo, and stihl. All three are good trimmers. i use Stihl. the biggest deciding factor for you should be what does the closest dealer carry and how good of service does that dealer give you. 65Hoss and i are both in the memphis area and each have a stihl dealers about 2 miles from our houses. This was one of the deciding factors why I chose stihl. Then came quality of the machine. My dealer is great at keeping parts in stock for LCO's.

Like Hoss said, of the three you listed Shin is the better in my opinion. But I'm a STIHL man myself.

Sorry to get long winded.

Scot

6. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

I bought one this last year and I love it.(T260)
    I've got an older Shindaiwa stick edger that is run extremely hard 6 days a week during the busy season here. Still runs like new. The only thing I've had to replace on it is the plug and foam air filter (when needed). I bought it in 1995!! Hows that for durability?
    I've tried Tanaka,Stihl,etc.,weed-eaters. They just don't seem to hold up.

7. deason

deason LawnSite Member

Just depends on whos at the shop and what day. We all have favorites. All of your major brands are very good. Personally I run an Echo srm 2400 and I am very happy with it. But like I said, They all have good points and bad points. Have fun! :D

8. klite

klite LawnSite Member

I started with Echo and like them. Most dealers have parts for them, and if in a pinch on the weekend Home Depot and Lowes stock parts for them.

9. wesLESCO48

wesLESCO48 LawnSite Member

I heard alot of good things about shindaiwa but i have
    no experience with them because the nearest dealer is 50
    miles away. I had been running echo's but just bought
    a stihl fs85 and i love it compared to the echo's.
    If i had a shindaiwa dealer close by i'd definitely give them
    a try.

10. HLC

HLC LawnSite Member

Wes,
    50 miles in which direction? If south, that would put them about...Clanton? I would be willing to drive that far. I would like to try Shin. We actually have a dealer here in Prattville. It's the local feed,seed, plumbing repair, and fish bait shop. I went in there to check out the Shin's. All that they had in stock were homeowner models covered in two inches of dust. I asked if they could get a T230 or T260 and just got a dumb look followed by...."I don't think they make a 230 or 260"