1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trimmer with no muffler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnspecialties, Aug 29, 2006.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Here's the deal. The RedMax BC2300 finally got just too clogged in the exhaust port to run worth a crap. It's about six years old so I can't complain. Tonight at the fire station, I tried to remove the old muffler but sure enough, one of the old bolts broke and of course, my drill is at the house. I have a very busy day tomorrow with Ernesto coming in Thursday night.

The question: Would it hurt anything really if I run the RedMax without an exhaust for most of the day? Yes, it is very loud but many residentials I'm cutting tomorrow are in rural areas with nobody home. I have my T27 Shindaiwa with me but it's so big and clunky, I'd much rather use the 2300 when possible. Then tomorrow night I can get the bolt tapped out and put it back together. Is there any reason I haven't thought of as to why I shouldn't run it like it is? Thanks:confused:
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No backpressure is a bad thing, and the heat will be a DEFINITE factor.
  3. lawnspecialties

I must admit, I ran it here tonight at the fire station about five minutes and it was flying. I was curious though if the free flow in the exhaust would lean it out too much.
  4. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

why not run it with only one bolt holding it on
  5. lawnspecialties

I'm worried it would slip. I don't have anything to lose by trying, though.
  6. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a trimmer you can use if you really need one. Im guessing we are in the same area. Put yours in the show or get the parts and fix it thursday while its raining. No sense damaging your stuff.