Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SchultzLawnCare, Jan 9, 2008.

1. SchultzLawnCare

SchultzLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to purchase a new trimmer this upcoming spring. I would like to hear your feed back on what brand and what type of trimmer to buy. I would prefer a straight shaft. THANKS!
  2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Shindaiwa 261. Nice powerful unit! The speedfeed head is also nice!

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I like my Stihl FS-250r, but im considering buying the new SRM-265. Just look around and find something that you like in your pricerange.
  4. BentleyOutdoors

BentleyOutdoors LawnSite Member

The echo srm-265 is my next trimmer as soon as it gets to my local dealer, i cant wait
  5. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

I use Echo PAS-265 power heads with attachments. Lots of power....
  6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

There all good just get one that suits your needs.
  7. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

stay with echo. i think they make the best equipment but thats my opinion, half the guys on lawnsite swear by stihl.
  8. Lance L

Lance L LawnSite Senior Member

i have run most of them, stihl 4mix, i hate them they are =heavy expensive and dont like to start very easy when warmed up(like the 4 stroke dirtbikes...)

echo - guys used it for 2 months, like the weight and balance, then it stopped running, needed a new carb, the plastic is flimsy, only trimmer that has ever had broken plastic that wasnt 5 yrs old.. was the 261t. the 50% torque gear box or whatever sucks cant even tell how long the string is doesnt cut worth a crap imho... hate echo now...

shindaiwa - was the t260 i believe, i loved it at first, was a little heavier, but screams gobs of power, everything seems well made on it, but it started to have problems starting after a few months, it would run but was just a pita to start. the speed feed head is the best i recommend puttin them on whatever trimmer you decide to go with!!!

redmax - my choice, i have never had problems with any of them!! other than gettin stolen... my first one was the bcz2600su had the carbon shaft super light i think 10lbs.. a lil more but was so nice, it was stolen... we run the 2601s now w/the shin speed feed heads, they are light reliable and with a decent price tag.

i would say go with the redmax. never tried a few of the other brands ie kawi, marayuma, and a couple others
  9. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

I run husqvuarna 323L, its light and the trimmer line is easy to change. plenty of power as well. I am not a big fan of the echo trimmers personally.
  10. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

What brand does your dealer sale? To me it is better to have a good dealer. I have run several brands and some I like better than others. Everybody is going to say their brand is better than joe blows brand. At the time I am running stihl fs90's and a kawasaki kgt27. I like the kawasaki for the power to weight. It may not matter to you but I did have to put on a redmax gearhead on the kawasaki to run a speedfeed head.