trimmers and being new

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by caz1, Oct 25, 2004.

1. caz1

caz1 LawnSite Member

what is better straight or curved shaft trimmers just starting bus after work lawncare and snow removal just small time right now craftsmen push mower and snowblower and weedeater trimmer any words of advice would help

:dizzy: thanks caz

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

It depends on the person alot. MY wife will help me sometimes and she is a short person and the straight shaft is very awkward for her. The curved shaft is alot better for her. Good luck and welcome to lawnsite

3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

If you are taller than 5ft7", a straight shaft trimmer will save you from lots of backaches. Also, it is easier to find higher horsepower/heavy-duty trimmers in the straight shaft models. It is easy to go through several cheap trimmers when, for the same money, you could have purchased one commercial model. If you can afford it, dont go cheap. Try Redmax, Stihl, Shindaiwa, Echo trimmers. A good blower is also an absolute must.

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I like straight myself. Most of the time better constructed because they are going to see heavy use. I liked Echo's SRM2100. It was good for what we did and it was lighter than the steel shaft models. Would have preferred those but budget restrictions were usually a problem. Personal preference really. Try a few models and see what is the most balanced and comfortable over time. Some guys like the bike bars, I don't. Didn't do much brush clearing where we were so didn't need it. Was uncomfortable to me as well. I liked Echos grips. We had some old IDC trimmers with hard plastic handles that after an hour of shutting them down your hands were still vibrating, one of the reasons we went with Echo. We also had some Sthil curve shafts at one time. Lasted only a year. I think they were re-manufactured but could never get anyone to admit they were. Go demo some and see what you like. jm.02

5. Ability

Ability LawnSite Member

Straight shaft is definitely much better.

Like locutus said try not to go cheap. A good commercial mower can cost you several thousands. But, a good trimmer only costs around $400 or so.

When I first started I made the mistake of going with a home depot special. If I could do it over again I would have spent the money on a good one.

I have a Redmax and love it!!!!

6. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

Go with a straight shaft, my personal experience you won't be able to trim under cars with a curved one. Plus from earlier posts it will save you from back aches

7. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah when I started tinkering around in it, I made the mistake of using Homelites. NEVER AGAIN! The 2 I had lasted 2 years and then they both went to crap at the same time.

This past summer I finally decided not to put it off any longer and I went and bought a Stihl FS-80R. My father bought a Echo (Home Depot model, not sure of which one), but they are about the same size. I've used his and I'm gonna say this. My Stihl blows that Echo away in terms of power and has better fuel consumption.

8. caz1

caz1 LawnSite Member

I'm just starting out in the lawncare and snowremoval as you can see just 1 customer so far plan on just residentrual for away have to work full time at another job during the day until this takes off what do i need as far as equiment power and hand. this is what i have 1995 f-150 4x4 302 with 5x10 open tilt trailer, 21" craftsmen 5.5 horsepower bagger multch pushmower honda motor weedeater brand trimmer curved, 4.0 hp craftmen edger, 1 scotts drop spearder, 1 scotts broadcast spearder hand rake and push broom craftmen 7.75 hp snowblower and snow shovel this is all stuff that i have for my home that i plan on useing till i get my feet of the ground really don't want to brow money any help would be great :help:

9. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

go to home depot and buy an echo srm 210. its around 190.00 and works very nice.

10. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

$400 ????????????? I paid $250 for my Redmax.