Trimmers and Echo PAS Question?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lynden-Jeff, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,

I am at the point where I need to decide what I am going to use for trimmers and edgers. I was originally going to go with 2 dedicated trimmers (one light and one heavier duty) and a pas system with edging attachment to start but the budget is getting a little thing. I'm thinking now about going with an SRM-210 as the main trimmer and then a pas-260 with a rapid load trimmer head and edger attachment. This way since the pass is 25.4cc it will act as the more powerful trimmer if excessive trimming needs to be done or it can be used to edge. Does this sound OK to start? This is for mainly residential, possibly a bit of commercial and a 2 man crew. Also how easy do the pas systems interchange?

Cheers

Jeff

2. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

I think your heading in the right direction, having a dedicated trimmer and also the Echo PAS with the edger attachment + as time goes by you can purchase other attachments as needed.

I do not have the Echo PAS, but I do have lots of experience with Echo line trimmers, the old 2601's and the new 260's, they are great units.

All these split-boom attachments are easy-peezy to switch out, no problems.

3. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I would never buy an echo again, they are cheap plastic crap and hard to start to boot. maybe all the others are same but I'll still buy another brand. Echo= Home Cheapo, Now I know this.

4. MTAYLORFFP

MTAYLORFFP LawnSite Member

I agree with the cheap plastic comment, but not the hard to start, mine is the easiest ive ever had with any lawn equipment.. now my echo blower is a different story, takes like 10+ pulls and is brand new.... A far as cheap plastic, the safety trigge on top of the trigger handle broke within the first week.. got a new trimmer out of the deal though.. As far as qualith of work though, cuts like a champ!! I'm about to invest in one of those edge guard deal for it and see how well it works.. if anyone has one let me know how well it works.. The edge-it contraption

5. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't buy anything lighter than a 260 series....260, 261, 2601...etc.

6. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

I have two echo trimmers and they both serve their purpose. I mostly use the 2400 because it it much lighter and more powerful. It's about 5 years old. On the other hand my PAS-230 (3 years old) is hard to start, will not run unless trigger is wide open. I have replaced the air filter, fuel lines, fuel filter and no improvement. Neither of them came from Home Depot. They were both bought new from a local Echo dealer. The 230 is mostly used for shrub pruning and as a stick edger when a new customer has never had edging done. The 230 is also heavy no matter what extension is used. It also serves as a backup trimmer when my helper pulls the cord out of the 2400 or we both need to trim at the same time.

I recently installed the edgit on the 2400 and love it.

7. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

well if you buy echo from home chepo you get the home chepo version. I have always ran the pas 260 261's for trimmers 3 of them exactly and then have multiple attachments. 3 years going strong haven't had one problem!

8. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Im pretty sure its not buying it at home depot because you can buy 210-260 models at home depot here. Maybe I will go with an SRM-230s so I can get the steel shaft and a little more power. Ive heard extremes for echo from there total garbage to no problems at all. Around here the good dealer sells echo and the bad dealer sells redmax so even though redmax might be a little better id rather go with echo since Ill get good service. As far as line diameters go what is the difference? I mean why wouldn't everyone go with the largest diameter line so it lasts longer? Could some one enlighten me.

Cheers
    Jeff

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Regarding the size of line there is a limit on what size will feed out of Echo and it is around 105. It will last long enough unless you are cutting down trees or something. Both the Echo 230 and 260 are good choices and obviously the 260 is more powerful. We have two of the 250 units with articulating hedge trimmers on them and they do a find job. I am a little concerned about the interface coupling between the two pieces since it is plastic and Echo will need to find a better solution and they will before warranty run out.