trimmers & blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Up North, May 7, 2004.

1. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

First year in the business and need to add a commercial trimmer & BP blower. I don't have a Redmax or Shindaiwa dealer any where near me so that leaves me with Echo, Stihl, Husky, JD. I looked at the Echo SRM 230 & 260 and Stihl FS80 and 85, and a lighter duty FS55 that the guy said is a good dependable trimmer. For BP blowers I looked at various models of both Stihl & Echo.

What's the opinion out there? I know I'll get good and bad about both but they're priced about the same so just need to know what's reliable and best bang for the buck.

Thanks guys, great website and since I'm in Minnesota, still looking forward to my first cut next week. Have one more spring clean up this weekend.

Also, just have 7 accounts so far with very minimal marketing, mostly from just getting touch with "people in the know". Starting out part-time for this year and keeping my full time sales gig (tired of sitting behind a desk all day everyday) until the account base gets built up. Will do snowplowing in the winter, any suggestions as for tricks of the trade I should consider? Besides "don't get into this business" ha,ha,ha.

2. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

the good thing about the stihl weed eaters they have a lifetime warranty on the clutches. i have 2 stihl bp blowers they are great the only problem is sometimes it takes a few pulls to get started. you can rebuild them pretty cheap too

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Bought 5 pieces of stihl equipment so far this year.........guess what my answer is?
    Do not buy the fs 55 though.........

Oh,by the way,stay out of the business!

Just kidding............

4. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

Hey, Up North, I have the Stihl FS 80 trimmer and the BR420C Magnum blower. I love them both. By the way, how's the weather up there?, I've got family in Bemidji.

5. Up North

from MN

Zach76,
    Do they need someone to cut their lawn?!?! Weather has been lousy. Cold dry spring. My first cutting will hopefully start next week, supposed to get some rain this weekend to get the grass growing.

Do know about where your family lives in Bemidji?

6. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

Not exactly. Never been there myself, but my mom's cousin is a Lutheran minister near a college. I don't think he has a lawn, but I'll ask him. My grandmother lives on Big MacDonald lake which is up there somewhere as well.

7. Up North

from MN

Zach76 if you're ever up this way look me up. Thanks for the input on the trimmer & blowers. Looks like Stihl is getting the thumbs up.

8. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a fs85 trimmer this spring and love it. A couple of things i would suggest.
    1. get another spool so when u run out you just swap them out
    2. don't get the extream fs85 which is a cable shaft get the regular 85 with the solid.
    3. if you have hours on end of trimming look at fuel tank capasity on different models. I get about 4 yards on a tank on average.

as far as the blower goes i got a shindaiwa eb630 and love it but since u don't have a shin dealer near you I would look at the stihl br420. I used one once and for blowing grass its more than enough. It seemed a little heavier duty than the echo pb603. I elimated the pb650 and 750 due to the weight. Hope the info helps

9. Up North

from MN

thanks for the input Stevesmowing guy, and all you other guys. Looks like I'll be going back to my Stihl dealer Monday.

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Get the FS85. I've got a few of them and one has around 3000 hours and still runs like new. They will last a long time.