Trimmers: Echo 210 vs. Shindaiwa T222 vs. Stihl

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassman10, Jun 5, 2008.

1. grassman10

grassman10 LawnSite Member

Can I impose upon the experts here for some guidance on which of these trimmers to buy for home use? I mow about 3/4 of an acre of lawn and will be trimming grass around fences and Belgian block plus occasional foot-high grass and non-woody weeds. Will use once a week. Went into a dealer today with an FS-45 in mind, but he talked me out of it saying it wouldn't stand up to my yard. I don't want to go overboard and get something too heavy or too expensive.
    Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Martin Mowing

Martin Mowing LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

For once a week use I think any of them would stand up to it. I know a commercial operator that uses an Echo 210 for an edger probably had it four years and no problems. We have a stihl 55 that the city bought for the fire dept. where I work which also recieves once a week use and have had no problems with it. My personal favrite is shinaiwa, I have an old shindy 230 that I love.

3. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

We've used the Echo SRM-210 for a long time at home. Works great. I know lots of commercial cutters using these too.

4. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Echo is crap, stil with stil. I dont know anythin about shindy. I dont even know a dealer that sells them in my area.

5. jspec260

jspec260 LawnSite Member

I do agree echo is crap the other mow crew got some of the new echos n after running them for about 30min in the dead of summer the casing gets hot as can be. A few of the guys have gotten burnt from them.

6. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

Been using a 210 for 3 years with no problem, Love it infact.

Used dailey and it just started acting up because I ran out of mix oil and had to get some from the Gas station. It is now getting back to normal after a tank or two of the good stuff.

Everything I run is Echo and Toro for the mowers.

7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

get a husky 323

8. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Two words - red max

9. jim163

jim163 LawnSite Member

all i run is echo. GET A REDMAX.

10. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

all i run is stihl, get a stihl. can i jus say something. you will NEVER get a direct answer on this site when you ask the question, should i get redmax, stihl, or echo. people have their favs. its like saying whats better this or that, people have their favs. each brand has their fans and each brand has their haters, plain and simple. stihl is the best made(opinion, but also fact). alot of people use redmax, stihl and echo when it somes to blowers. you need to look at price, specifications and dealers and then that will limit your choices. goodluck