1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trimmers: Guards On or Off?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GLS, Feb 1, 2003.

Do you keep the guards on or take them off?

1. I keep them on

46 vote(s)
  2. I take them off

30 vote(s)
  1. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just reading a thread about how to reduce the amount of debris that string trimmers throw up and wondered how many people take the guards off of their trimmers?

Personally, I keep them on. I have no trouble seeing around them (fs 85s) and the string is at the right length that way, but that's just me.

I also wear safety glasses, hearing protection, steel toes, and pants.

Feel free to post if there is a specific reason why you do or don't keep the guard on.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

keep it on, but sometimes I might cut some of the section off
  3. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I keep guard on,it must be there for a reason.Always wear safety glasses too!:eek:
  4. gardenpro

gardenpro LawnSite Member
    from -

Everyone around here takes them off, except me, it seems. Less rocks through the windows I figure.
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I need my eyes, I'll leave them on!:rolleyes:
  6. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I leave them on. Havent shattered a window yet.
  7. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I take mine off for 3 main reasons

1. Control, I can trim with 360 degrees

2. Speed, On large banks I can go in any direction. so I don't get as tired as fast because you can trim going forward across the bank backwards across the bank and up and down. When you can only go forwards after about 2 hours you get a giant kink in your back from leaning to one side.

3. Control
  8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I just took mine off last season to try it, and left them off.

1. Main reason I like them off is it's lighter. And I mean surprisingly lighter! = less fatigue.
    2. More manuverable. I trim right around a post/pole/small tree without walking around it. Can fit into tight spaces that gaurd wouldn't.

1. Get alot of grass on my legs! And occasionally get hit with rocks! Ouch!
    2. Risk of throwing rock somewhere I don't want it. (although this can certainly happen even with gaurd on, just less likely).

So far, the pros outweigh the cons for me. Another plus is that it FORCED me to finally start wearing eye protection, something I wasn't doing before.
  9. Weed eaters came with guards?
  10. grassworks

grassworks LawnSite Member

used to remove them but now I leave them on . I think they have moved the guards ( angle ) and shrunk their size on most quality trimmers to fix the visibility & weight Issues.