Trimmers meet my finger, split my finger in half.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soloscaperman, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

I was at a lawn trimming and I should of bought real trimmers but used Sears crap that my mom had in her garage. The handle broke about 3 times when it popped off the trimmers went down and my left hand slide into the trimmers because the unit had a smooth round shape and it was a small unit and my hands r big. Well it went straight down the middle finger and stopped past the bone & the end of the nail.

Blood went all over the driveway & on my truck as I was calmly putting my tools away.

Drove to the hospital & waited real long. Doctors said I need surgery & were amazed that I didn't feel the pain. I told them im more worried about getting my work done. At the last second the other doctor said that with the bone fracture he has dirt in the bone and if they do stitch it up the dirt will be trapped. The best way is leave it open and wear a cast!! They said no work for 6 weeks and also they said that you don't want dirt in the cut.

Should I wear a glove while im working. I have a metal finger splint. If I wore XXL rubber gloves would that help?? Would that make the finger sweat and prune like when taking a hot shower then it wont heal. I have a walker I was going to buy a rider but I cant now. This sucks. I can't afford not to work. I have someone that can do my lawns.Or I will hire this other kid to use my walker.
    It stopped where the joint is. Doctor said that if it was the other way I would of lost my finger.

Wear gloves & if a tool is broken don't use it!!

2. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Wow that sounds alot like one of my workers. He was getting ready to cut the front yard of a small house with one of our Snappers and when he went to change the height on the mower he slipped and got a terrible sheet metal cut down the middle of his middle finger and it went all the way to the bone. Lets just say he was in alot of pain at first but after words he felt more stupidity than pain.

3. amor4421

amor4421 LawnSite Member

Man that sounds like you are in a real hard place. no work for 6 weeks or get somebody to do the work. if you get this guy you know todo the work will he take as much pride in YOUR lawns as you do. thats a hard call to make with your business. but if you ride with him and do the edge work or mowing i think it would be alright. if you can do that. good luck and i hope your finger recovers well.

4. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

OUCH!!! Sorry to hear your pain.

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

get some finger cots....

http://www.bonric.com.my/catalog/admin/uploads/b5f043e529_nyfc.jpg

they look like itty bitty rubbers. or, depending on how big the splint is, get some unlubed rubbers.

yes your finger will sweat, but it beats getting dirt and crud in the wound.

or you can rake a pair of larger brown jersey gloves and cut the fingers off and just cover that one finger. if the splint/cast is large, then go to target/walmart, and get some socks for young kids, or new borns. and then use med tape to tape the sock to the finger/hand. still gets a change to breathe but filters out the dirt.

I never wear gloves. gloves can make an accident worse, since the tool can snag on the glove and pull your hand/arm further into the saw/blade, ect.

same reason I keep my shirt tucked in. don't want to take the chance of it getting snagged.

6. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like me when i was down in Linn, County and got my hand crushed in a Hydraulic Log Splitter hooked up to a Farmall 450.

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

You should do what the Doctor says to do.

8. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

I dno in the last 2 years i have seen about 20 diffrent doctors they all seem pretty dumb to me. Whos gonna pay there bills if you dont work. Saftey first gloves can help or hurt sorry about the finger.

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Ya right. You have seen 20 doctors and have determined all doctors are dumb:rolleyes:

10. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Doctor gave me 12 perks. My friend told me that I can get hooked on them. He loves them, he told me he will work for me for the pills, LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.