Trimmers-Shaft or Cable?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tharrell, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I'm looking to get some new trimmers and was wondering what the advantage/disadvantages between shaft and cable? For example, Echo offers the 260 with either one.

2. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

Tharrell...

Pay the extra $20 to $30 and get the SRM-260S with the steel shaft.

It is much smoother and has a ton of power. The steel shaft transfers power better to the cutting head....it is a great trimmer!!

3. Hometown

Hometown LawnSite Member

I just bought 2 echo 260-s models this spring, they were $20.00 more than the 260. The lack of vibration in the 260-s makes for a easier day of trimming less fatigue in the arms (if you trim a lot during the day)and back. They use the same engine in both models so they should be equally dependable from that part,and the only problem I have had so far is the screw holding the air cleaner is a little too long and it will scratch the choke plate enough to eventually make it break but the dealer sent me a new one and took the time to grind both of them down for me so it won't happen agian. I really like the units.

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I've got the Stihl FS80 which is same as a FS85 but cable drive instead of shaft. No problems thus far and I've done some heavy overgrowth clearing with the string, no cable problems. I've heard that for around $30 you can replace the cable with the shaft used in the FS85, so if it ever goes out i'd do that but no need yet, of course it's only a year old. I think it was lot more than $30 to jump to the FS85 though.

5. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an old (5 years of heavy use) FS80 with the cable drive and I have run all the attachments from string, to weed blades, to saw blades with no problems. I ran this thing hard!!!! They dont recommend running the cable when using the metal blades but I did anyway. I think it stops alot of the vibration.

No complaints here.

Jimbo

6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

I have cable and shaft driven trimmers and do not notice a big difference between them as far as comfort and power. I would not hesitate to buy more of either kind.

7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Echo may have a lifetime warranty on the cable, or at least a very long one.

I would go with the shaft. I've used both, and never really noticed a difference, but I like the idea of the shaft better.

8. cmcquate

cmcquate LawnSite Member

I don't usually have much to say - just sit here and read all the stuff y'all post, but... On this subject I gotta speak! The shaft is so much smoother and, I believe takes less power to turn. Less power lost in turning means more at the head or blade and since the shaft is a little heavier you have more flywheel effect - less RPM drop when you go into heavy grass or tough brush. Just my opinion, but I am much happier with my 2 FS85RT's than the previous flex shaft trimmers.:blob2:

9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

cmcquate, you didn't mean curved shaft trimmers did you? A curved shaft will lose some power due to the curve in the shaft and the friction and extra energy needed to flex the shaft cable, but a straight shaft trimmer with cable drive shouldnt' be MUCH harder to turn, although you are somewhat correct about the flywheel effect.

10. cmcquate

cmcquate LawnSite Member

FrankenScag,

No, I meant flex shaft or cable. Every time that cable flexes, it touches the inside of the shaft = friction + lost motion = more power to turn. Solid shaft does not flex, rub etc = less power to turn. Once again, this is my opinion as observed by me, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion.