Trimmers Stihl or Echo???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLS-Tx, Jul 25, 2008.

1. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Which do you like and why?

I know Ford or Chevy, but I'm wanting to switch from shindy, and I want to hear from folks that have used both Stihl and Echo.

As far as models, I'm looking at Stihl 90, 110, or 130, and Echo 265 or 280. I want as much power as I can get without being to heavy. I like the Shindy T-260 but you can't get them anymore only the 261 (junk). I also have the Shindy 270 and it is great for heavy growth, but a bit to heavy to use all day.

2. railman

railman LawnSite Member

I have 2 fs 90r and they work great for me. you can changed the power head and make it into a different tool. its like having the kombi system from stihl or like the pas system like echo.

3. K/B

K/B LawnSite Senior Member

Why not try a Shindaiwa 242?

4. OSU 09

OSU 09 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I run echo for all of my hand power equipment, weedeaters, blowers, hedge trimmers, chain saw. I have never had any problems with them, they hold up great and seem to (for me anyway) last for a very long time. I cant tell you exactly why I think the are so great, but I just love em, I wouldn;t ever think about getting something else, but of course people just have their own preferences and echo is mine.

5. BCF

BCF LawnSite Member

I have a new srm260 that is 2-3 months old. After only 10 minutes of use the engine/gear casing gets too hot to tuoch/ rest your elbow on. The thing shakes like a SOB until the clutch grabs about 3/4" throttle, ans is heavier and less powerful then the ole 2601.

A guy I work with used Stihl at his last job and says they were better in everyway over these echoes, old and new.

6. wiselawns

wiselawns LawnSite Member

Run all echo equipment and love them. I have an srm260 trimmer that is on its 5th season. the choke lever on it will vibrate to the choke position if i dont wedge a small stick in it. The shielding around the engine is cracked in several places and will probably fall off any time. One of the bolts that holds the gas tank on is stripped and always falls out. But that thing fires on the first crank almost every time.

7. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

I bought my first Echo trimmer 5 years ago (SRM 210) and I'm still using it today. Every piece of handheld equipment I own is Echo (blowers, trimmers, edger, chainsaws, polesaw). I know other people may like other brands but until Echo craps out on me, I won't switch brands.

8. Donald A

Donald A LawnSite Member

Had a SRM 210 for 3 years, used the crap out of it. My son has it now and it starts and runs great. I have a new SRM 230 and really like it.
    The engine case does get very hot and I can't rest my elbow on it. That is the only complaint I have with the Echo. Anyone have a cure for the heat problem???

9. MAD87

MAD87 LawnSite Member

While I love my Echo trimmers, it's hard to beat a Stihl. I have a 14 yr old FS-74 that has been used commercially for the last 8 years, and the thing just won't die! The only major repair I had was replacing the head about 5 years ago because I didn't know it had to be greased!:hammerhead: With that said, you can't beat a Stihl! I'm anxious to see how long my Echos last!

10. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I did demo a T-242, seems like it has about the same power of the T-230. I wanting something aleast as powerful as the T-260, I wish I could still get the T-260, but I'm not buying a T-261.

I don't know anything about Echo, my dealer has 2 Echo 261T, They said they are being repaced by the SRM-265T. The 261T is black and grey, and the 265T is orange.

My question is are the 265T and 261T the same trimmer?