Trimmers - Stihl or Shindaiwa

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by derektoews, Jun 6, 2013.

1. derektoews

derektoews LawnSite Member

Just trying to figure out what others are using and get some advice. Our one crew is doing around 80 properties per week (Just some perspective for how much they are being used). I have 4 Stihl Trimmers... 3 FS90's and 1 FS110. All were purchased brand new. The 110 has been in the shop at least 4-5 times in the past 2 years. And I usually end up putting at least 1 FS90 in the shop once every 2 months or so it seems like. They just start bogging down once you get past half throttle and aren't fully responsive. I've had the 110 out of the shop for 2 weeks and it seriously won't start up half the time. BTW - I USE ONLY NON-ETHANOL GAS (I know that Ethanol is terrible for these things)

So going forward I'm interested in trying out a Shindaiwa that would be equal to a FS90 or FS110 but I'm really not familiar with them at all. Are the Shindaiwa's more reliable than the Stihl? I couldn't imagine I'm running these trimmers too much compared to other companies. There's not a single trimmer that's over 2 years old...

Anybody have some advice?
  2. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

One vote for Shindy from this guy... Have always run Shindy and for you to be in the shop that often for trimmers is nuts.... Go Shindy and you will not be sorry.
  3. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Echo is my favorite I use a old srm 210 an it runs like a champ
  4. Kings of Green LLC

Kings of Green LLC LawnSite Member

Shindaiwa 242 with speed heads!
  5. tdadkins00

tdadkins00 LawnSite Member

I would look into redmax very strong trimmers. Not really a fan of the shindaiwa/echo stuff
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

be aware that some shindys arnt shindy any more since sorry echo bought them out. the 242 model is the one you want. avoid the rest. the shindy 4mix is worse than the sthil in my experience so avoid them as well. before the buyout shin was the best in the industry. too bad. redmax and husky would be my second choice also