1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NoDownTime, Apr 4, 2001.

1. NoDownTime

NoDownTime LawnSite Member

Who do you guys think makes the best curved shaft trimmer. I use RedMax currently, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

My guess is that about 95% of us here use straight shaft trimmers. My dealer doesn't stock curved shaft trimmers. I would guess if Red Max makes them, they would probably be one of the best. If you like Red Max, I would stick with them.
  3. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I have a couple staight shaft Echo's, and one curved echo, I like both varietys, but I prefer the straight. No problems whatso ever with the curved though. I like the trimmer.
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Have you ever used a straight shaft trimmer? There's a reason that 95% of use ues a straight shaft. Its better! Buy a Shindaiwa, if you don't like it, take it back. They have a 7 day return policy.
  5. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

how do you edge with a curve trimmer ..
  6. NoDownTime

NoDownTime LawnSite Member

with the curved trimmer you do not have to hold the trimmer as high in the air to get a straight edge. My experience with the straight shafts, is that I end up taking too much off the edge, I get a cleaner look with the curved shaft. They are also usually lighter which reduces fatigue over a twelve hour day.
  7. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're working 12 hour days then you need to look into purchasing more productive equipment i.e. learn how to use a straight shaft trimmer correctly and increase your productivity tremendously.
  8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I was on that curved shaft wagon for 2 years. someone bought me an echo 2501, and I hated it. I had learned on a curved, and it didn't feel right. when everything else broke, I fianally used it, and after a week, have never looked back at a curved shaft. sheesh that sounds creepo. Curved shaft. kind of like an indian name. Dave g
  9. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

At first I wasn't sold on the straight shaft idea either. That was until I bought my first one! Go to http://www.shindaiwa.com I think that they have the weights of their trimmers on their site. I am planning on buying my first commercial trimmer within the next month, and It's going to be a T270 or T350.
  10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

may not be the best but sounds like it would do what you want,good as any