1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grassboy, Mar 1, 2000.

1. Grassboy

Grassboy LawnSite Member

I've heard a lot about blower lately and I'm still don't know what blower to get. But that's beside the point. I am looking for a trimmer in general what's your favorite? BUT I probably am looking to get a shaft edger, and I was wondering if Red Max or Shindaiwa make any of those trimmers that can have other attachments put on them?<br>Are those multipurpose trimmers with all those attachments any good? Or should I get a shaft edger, and a trimmer(2 separate pieces of equiptment)??? I am very confused. Help Please. If you need some clarifying on the questions just ask! If this is really confusing I'm not surprised, I am writing this at 4 in the morning. Don't ask.<br>But please help me out with my dilema here. <p>Thanks<br>Grassboy
  2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Whats up grassboy? First and most importantly, how much money do you want to spend on this?? Not that its any of my business, but in your 50 other posts you have been looking at some top of the line equipment. From what I understand (from what you said) You don't have a trailer or truck, right? I think its great that your starting young and your doing it the right way by asking around here, plus thats how I started. Lemme suggest one thing....without picking on you if thats how this sounds: Why don't you buy a 48&quot; WB, a trimmer and a blower and start saving the money you earn to put towards a truck and/or trailer? Unless you have some kind of endless money tree, wich I don't think you do cause you prob wouldn't be spending on lawnmowers, how do you expect to pay for all this equipment??<br>Hope I helped. By the way, try reading some of the older posts, because they have the answers for the questions you've been asking lately.<p>Like I said before, drop me an e-mail if you'd like to talk<br>amnguido@hotmail.com<p><p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti
  3. Grassboy

Grassboy LawnSite Member

Thanks so much Guido,<p>That is very helpful. The plan you suggested their is just exactly what I am trying to do. I have $1200 saved up for equiptment. I was very picky on the mower prices I looked at so I think the Turf Tracer is best for me. However, I really have thought this over and since the top of the line blowers and trimmers aren't that bad in price, I decided to get the best (well not the best but close to it) for my trimmer and blower. I mainly want something that will last and is the most powerful. I have found most people go w/ Red Max for blowers. I probably will too, is this a wise idea? I am however confused greatly about a trimmer and an edger!!! Does Red Max or Shindaiwa make those multiple attachment things where I could attach a trimmer to it, then switch it to an edger? If so are they powerful and durable. Do the multiple attachment series things make the trimming/edging look worst than just buying a stick edger and a trimmer and using those???? That's my main concern. Anyone wanna help???
  4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I still do not understand???? Maybe its me.<p>$1200 saved up<p>Exmark turf tracer (I'm not good w/ prices I've been away from the industry for a while. Maybe someone could correct me and prove my point<p>$1200 - $4000 = NEGATIVE $2800<br>$-2800 - $600 for trimmer/blower/ = $3,400 IN THE HOLE???<p>You have been looking at prices right? You understand that $1200 won't go too far buying the new equipment your looking at right?? Have you been looking at used too?<p><p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti
  5. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

hey for trimmes go with the echo srm 2400 or a red max. I have echo trimmers and they are pretty good. Echo also makes a split shaft trimmer that you can use for edging, trimming and a bunch of other thing as well. I think it costs about 300.00 and the atachments are about 100.00 - 150.00 each it should be cheaper than bying both trimmer and edger especilly if your not going to be using the edger as much. For a blower, red maxx eb 6200 is definitaly worth the extra money.
  6. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

I would go for the Stihl gear.Most power<br>best quality.But a bit heavy though.Being<br>a young bloke,you might prefer the Shindaiwa<br>T230 which is nice and light.
  7. Grassboy

Grassboy LawnSite Member

Sup Guido,<p>Okay, I have definately looked very closely at the prices. I am just starting to get into the business professionally that why I only have $1200. But the I am going to take advantage of Exmarks No payments for 6 months policy, and get the mower, earn the money to pay it off, and pay it off in August. I'll be able to pull it off. I have done multiple calculations to find how much I'll be making. And after paying off all the equiptment, I'll make about $3500 At the least, for a profit. <br>Do you understand now????
  8. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I'm not going to get into whether or not you can afford new equipment or not.What I will say is buy a stihl.I bought one the first year i started my business(5 years ago)and it is still in constant use.Plus stihl has a life-time guarantee on its shaft.We have not only used that trimmer for residential and commercial but we have also bought a saw for it and used it for brush removal.So if you want to buy a good trimmer that will last you more that a couple of years than I suggest that you buy a stihl.Also remember to buy a top of the line stright shaft.
  9. LiVe

LiVe Guest

I am very happy with the echo line, I have been mowing for over 5 years now and I have tried a lot of stuff out there and echo seems to be the best for me. Everyone has there own prefrences kinda like ford and chevy.
  10. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

STIHL for sure