trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stslawncare, Jul 5, 2000.

1. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

Hi everyone!<br>Well ive been pretty quiet lately, been pretty sick. But feeling better now and ready to get back to my learning! My grandfather has a Ryobi straight shaft trimmerplus weed wacker. I used the thing for 3 hours straight on Saturday! I was triming tall thick grass along the road, and also light brush with the string, It also has a blade that we havent even tried using yet. The thing is pretty strong, i was amazed what i was cutting through with the string! And i was surprised that it went 3 hours of strong trimming without trouble. ONly had to change the gas/oil 1 or 2 times. Well reason im telling you all this is i was considering getting one. i think the price is a little over $100, i think like $130. I would probobly get maybe the next size up just to be on the safe side. I like the idea of being able to put multiple attachments on it. i wouldnt get the blower for it becuase thats something that i would need ready when i am ready for it. but like a edger, hedge trimmer attachment wouldnt be bad. what are your thoughts on this brand and stuff? If no what would you reccamend? I need to stay under $250. or should i wait and spend more?<br>Thanks<br>Scottie<p>----------<br>Scottie Schmidt<br>STS Lawn Care

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Scottie, Ryobi may be good for a homeowner who is only going to use it once a week or so, but under the demands of commercial use I don't think it would stand the test of time. For $130 I guess you could look at it as a &quot;throw away&quot; item, but for an additional $200 you can have a trimmer which will last for years. Personally I use all Tanaka hand held products and absolutely love them! :) <p>Your neighbor in PA.

3. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I would wait and buy a commercial weed eater if you want to put on attachments echo has a nice one they also make a cheaper homeowners brand if your not mowing to much 10-20 yards a week I would take a look at the homeowners line if you want to be cheap.

4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

Ryobi has a trimmer that they call &quot;commercial&quot;. would you still consider it homeowener quality. Scraper where in pa are you? you can email me if you want. stslawncare@hotmail.com<p>----------<br>Scottie Schmidt<br>STS Lawn Care

5. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Scottie, I'm in Chadds Ford. Haven't seen the &quot;commercial&quot; Ryobi model, but if you are really serious about going at this I would recommend a commercial version like shindaiwa, echo or tanaka. If you're looking at it as a multi-purpose tool (i.e. being able to interchange parts) realize that dedicated equipment is faster as you don't have to spend time switching pieces. Not to mention I don't know what the quality the drive shaft in the ryobi is. To be honest...my first weedeater was a Homelite :), but after one season I went with the Tanaka and haven't looked back since.<p>Hope this helps.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I am not really embarassed to admit this but I am currently waiting for my first Homelit to die after 3 years then I'll use my backup that is brand new (ya know a spare) until I burn it up. Then I'll probably get something more commercial just because. <p>If it works and does what you want - use it and TEST it to the MAX. If it fails - well you learned. If it doesnt, you have some bucks in your shorts. <p>I'm a little spoiled, my Walker trims most jobs for me so its the tight corners and odd spots that I use my Homelite on but the only thing I do to it is scrape off the exhaust screen every 6 months and off it goes. Some people don't like the clockwise spin but ya get used to it. Good Luck.

7. MLS

MLS LawnSite Member

STS,<p>We bought three new Tanaka trimmers at the beginning of the season. We love them. They also are capable of adding attachments and so far we have bought the hedge trimmers and the pole saw. We had five Husquvarna that we retired after about eight years of flawless service. Would have bought husky again but they have changed the design.

8. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

heres my say; i just purchased a stihl <br>FS-85T. it is like the ryobi but the quality is great. my partner had the ryobi on your talking about. it was always falling apart. i have had my brands of products shin, stihl, echo, husky. stihl is by far the best. if u are set on the ryobi junk buy it cheap a harborfreight.com so u dont lose any more money then u need to.

9. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

Scottie,<br>I'm in the same boat as you are right now. I'm probably gonna go tomorrow after work to check out a Shindaiwa Trimmer. I asked the salesman at the local power equip. about prices on them the last time I was in to get some deck parts for my riding mower. He said the Shindaiwas start out at about $190 and go up to about $500. <br>Some friends of mine have 2 Shindaiwas, and I've gotten to use them some. To me, they seem to have great power, relativaly light, and darn easy to change line on. And you gotta love that straight shaft. Sure beats the heck out of that curved shaft 11 year old weed eater my dad still has. But hey, i can't bash it, it's still running! <br>Good Luck,<br>Tim :)