Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clcare, Mar 16, 2004.

1. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

Anyone ues 4 stroke trimmers, we use hondas and the guys love them compared to 2 stroke

2. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use CHEAP straight shaft trimmers. Get them for about $90 each. When they die I throw them away. Can't see spending $300 bucks on a trimmer. I've got 2 going into their 3rd season. Buy all the same, and bought extra heads so string is pre-strung. When one runs out just pop a new head in. Keeps helpers from spending 10 minutes replacing a head when it can be done in 2 minutes by someone with practice.

Mike

3. Mlc gmc03

Mlc gmc03 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

me personally i can see the money for a good quallity trimmer we have a few echos that werent 200 but there the srm 260's so there up there and they have so much power and run great all day everyday and i have never had a problem with them, but hey if that works for you more power to ya man

4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Did a test drive on a honda trimmer a couple years ago. I thought it was a heavy dog. Last spring I got a Stihl mix . I like this one.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Too dog gone heavy, but get used to it. In the not too distant future, that's all we're gonna have.

6. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Have a friend that only buys cheap (Ryobi) Glad you can make them work for you GrassBustersLawn.

The way I try to explain it to him, is that even if you only drive a car to church on Sunday..........it might as well be a Cadillac.

Never saw a cheap one that would me last more than 3 months. (and start like it should)

How do you handle the vibration? (much less the little spools, and no clutches...........but whatever works for you) Not sure what kind of heads you use, but this 6" Green Machine head holds (guessing) 3-4 times as much as the cheap homelites.

Saves more time than swapping the small pre-wound spools out over and over.

There could be some good points to the cheap ones, for instance, You can buy a new trimmer for what just the gear head for mine cost (80.00).......but never had to change one.
    That, and when it gets stolen, your not out anything.

7. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

The hondas are so HEAVY,GRASSBUSTERSLAWN define a 90 dollar trimmer.