Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thelostbubba, Mar 1, 2005.

1. thelostbubba

thelostbubba LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy a new commercial grade trimmer. I’ll probably go with an echo or stihl. What do I look for as for cc and torque when choosing a new trimmer? Which models of the two brands do you guys prefer or use.

2. Turf Smart

Turf Smart LawnSite Member

Both are good names. The Echo is least expensive of the two and offers many attachments. When asking of cc's, typically the higher the cc, the heavier the machine. If you are just planning on trimming grass a 21-23cc is plenty. If you plan to use a blade attachment you may want a 27-34cc with a harness.
    Take a look at the Kawasaki machines. They are very light and powerful. I have had good luck with them.
  3. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

STIHL all the way.

I've never had a problem with Stihl products and my dealer treats me right.

I've got an FS 85 but unfortunately they stopped making it this year :realmad: :cry:
  4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Both are very good trimmers. I would recommend either one. I'd say a 25cc would be good for all around use.
  5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I ised Shindaiwa with great sucess I had a T230 witht he echo tap-n-go head which i was able to swap out with a a blade and it does good with the blade.

At G-town we use Echo, they are old and abused, but work just fine....My folks used Robin in their Business....

Whatever you get, as long as you take care of it it shoud last a long time....
    (8 years on my Shindaiwa, with 5 being heavy commercial use)
  6. lafrance4078

lafrance4078 LawnSite Member

Love my Shin. Very good machine with lots of power. I have a 230 also. Likewise, I also have a great dealer. It's all about the service.
  7. Legacy

Legacy LawnSite Member

Of the 2 choices that you have I would choose the Echo as they have some very good stuff at good from a dealer in your area for after the sale support!!

A 23 cc trimmer is perfect for most jobs...If you want you can step up to a 26 cc machine (You can get a 26 cc Echo this year for $279.99....great price!!)
  8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Echo's and stihls are priced very closely for the same size trimmer.
    Echo's are not any cheaper if you compare apples to apples.
  9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The 25 cc stihl fs80 can be had for $270.
    Pricing is all pretty comparable.
  10. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Just remember that both companies make homeowner/light duty model. You usually get what you pay for. A $200 trimmer is not the same power and grade as a $300 unit.