trimming 1 mile of fence

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mulchmaster, Dec 11, 2012.

1. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic

2. jackal

jackal LawnSite Senior Member

I trim a mile of fence with another guy a coupla times a season, takes about an hour. Only under the fence (about a foot) at a slow walk.

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I've scanned the posts in this thread, but I don't think the OP ever said what kind of fence. Is it an electric fence, with steel posts, a rail fence, how does the fence interface with the ground, what is the clearance between wire/rail? The time to do this work would depend greatly on the kind of fence.

4. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Roger, exactly what I was thinking. There is a whole lot of difference between trimming chain link or woven wire and something like barbed wire that has clearance from the ground. Also, we need more information as to the conditions. It would take a whole lot longer if the fence is on a steep slope instead of level ground.

5. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

Good question Roger, I do a chain-link that is about 1/4 mile long every other mow. It is deep on the back side. I only do the side facing the pond area that I mow. This rough fence line always looks bad but this is what the owner wants. It takes a LOT of line when trying to get it to look decent. .095 line on a lesser power weed whip seems to make the line last the best.

Not knowing what type of fence, either way it would be a goal to get to is to be able to walk at a slow or moderate speed and still get a good looking job. More than likely this would be possable with Round-Up to help keep the big thick weeds and tree start ups knocked down. A moderate walking speed should not take 64 man hours. Some one is milking this job.

6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

This is a good point and I left that detail out of my first post (post #7). That fence I do is chainlink.

If it were rail or plastic etc, it would take a lot less time than it does, but it at least included the fact that I have to cut the grass and crap back from the fence about an equal amount as the OP said he is expected to do, and is fairly rough and is banked at places all along it, so should give at least some idea of time.

7. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic

I said to just get a walk behind string trimmer too.

8. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a walk-behind string trimmer, it is not self propelled. There is no way I would take on a mile of fence pushing that trimmer around. I guess there is self propelled units, but still there to big and NOT user friendly more like awkward and slower than you think. I got mine used and do not pay much for it and glad I did. I would hate to have paid full price of mine, it is not what it appears.